burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrowningBAR said:
hyperion said:
BrowningBAR said:
I now have to tackle my $200-$230 monthly electric bill (which will be rising over the next few years).

If you are heating with oil, that electricity bill is a bit high. We are all electric and heating with a heat pump and my worst winter time bills are only about $300 (like last month and probably this month). We average $180 with heating, AC and everything. You must have a really big house. Ours is about 2400 square feet.

Ours is 2,200 sq ft. and no central AC.

I guess those window ACs are still costing you. Heat pumps have their issues, but they are really efficient in cooling mode. I should also clarify that my heating bill benefits from a combination of passive solar on sunny days, wood stove in the evenings and the PECO winter heating rate. I hear that with the deregulation, not only will rates generally rise 20 to 30 percent, they might also do away with the winter heating discount, which will be really bad news for me.

hyperion said:
BrowningBAR said:
hyperion said:
BrowningBAR said:
I now have to tackle my $200-$230 monthly electric bill (which will be rising over the next few years).

If you are heating with oil, that electricity bill is a bit high. We are all electric and heating with a heat pump and my worst winter time bills are only about $300 (like last month and probably this month). We average $180 with heating, AC and everything. You must have a really big house. Ours is about 2400 square feet.

Ours is 2,200 sq ft. and no central AC.

I guess those window ACs are still costing you. Heat pumps have their issues, but they are really efficient in cooling mode. I should also clarify that my heating bill benefits from a combination of passive solar on sunny days, wood stove in the evenings and the PECO winter heating rate. I hear that with the deregulation, not only will rates generally rise 20 to 30 percent, they might also do away with the winter heating discount, which will be really bad news for me.

$200-$230 a month throughout the year. last summer was cool enough where we didn't use window units. We saw zero difference in the bill.

BrowningBAR said:
$200-$230 a month throughout the year. last summer was cool enough where we didn't use window units. We saw zero difference in the bill.

Interesting, so it's just lights and appliances? You can probably lower that some by getting some newer more efficient ones.

hyperion said:
BrowningBAR said:

Interesting, so it's just lights and appliances? You can probably lower that some by getting some newer more efficient ones.

Already upgraded the water heater, furnace, and washer to energy efficient models. Drier and Fridge will come later.

BrowningBAR said:
hyperion said:
BrowningBAR said:

Already upgraded the water heater, furnace, and washer to energy efficient models. Drier and Fridge will come later.

If you can, figure out what your base line is. That is, those things that are usually on. This includes lighting, computers, TVs if you watch them a lot and the fridge. A smart meter that reports the readings more frequently can help you do that. Once you know the base line, the spikes are easily identifiable, because you remember when you turned on the dish washer, dryer, etc. That really gives you an idea what the big energy hog is.

Lukily I stumbled upon a stash I forgot I had, so I'll be good thru the comming storm. Now only if we'd get a power outtage..................

bcnu said:
Hope this isn't like the year we had summer in Feb and a wet grey June.

I'm having that sinking feeling. No winter and no summer. Other possibility is too dry and no snowpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.