Burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it her way and she will come around in time. In the meantime as everybody says gas is cheap. At least I hear it is. The largest gas pipeline supplying the East Coast runs nine miles from my house and we can't get the stuff.

We burn around the clock or we freeze.

BrotherBart said:
Do it her way and she will come around in time. In the meantime as everybody says gas is cheap. At least I hear it is. The largest gas pipeline supplying the East Coast runs nine miles from my house and we can't get the stuff.

I here ya, Bro. The same huge gas line runs 500 feet from me, but we can't get it, either. So it's burn wood or burn dollars.

fire_man said:
BrotherBart said:

I here ya, Bro. The same huge gas line runs 500 feet from me, but we can't get it, either. So it's burn wood or burn dollars.

Same here. Bizarre that that much NG flows that close and we used to to pay a truck to deliver it. And I will never deal with those guys that own the trucks again.

More than 10,000 homes heated with oil here are about to go cold as snow and ice has stopped delivery of oil.

Anybody here with a stack of wood is independant of the system :)

Tony, thanks for the graphic. Those results are compriable with mine. Only 60 gallons for last season, 50 the one before that. I appreciate the trip down memory lane with the fuel prices on the beginning of the chart.

Understand the frustration with the NG pipelines. We have a nearby port/unload facility in the chesapeake bay, only about 5 miles from me here in southen maryland but you can't get none of it.

cass

LLigetfa said:
firefighterjake said:
I set my oil boiler to come on at 60 degrees . . . typically after an overnight or overday fire the temp in the house is still above the 60 degrees mark meaning I saved money . . . and the house is that much warmer . . . which means the time (and comfort level) to bring the house back up to a nice, toasty 70 or 72 degrees is that much shorter.
It amazes me when I hear of people letting their temps swing that low. Dropping to 60 must condense the moisture out of the air big time. My windows are double pane low-E with argon and if I were to let the temps fall to 60 when it is much colder outside, my windows would be dripping with sweat and rotting out the frames. I'd imagine I would have mold and mildew issues too around thermal bridge points.

I'd have to turn off the humidifier and suffer nosebleeds, dry cracked skin, and respiratory issues. I guess given the price of oil, income may dictate, but then I'd be getting up in the middle of the night and restoking the stove instead.

No issues with condensation . . . of course we also don't have a humidifier going . . . just a steamer. No nose bleeds or issues with dryness . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.