Burning 24 hours 7 days a week, when applicable, and/or heating your house continuously with wood un

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you burn 24/7

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
100% wood - lots of fires in October, and non-stop since November. Three loads per day does the job if temps are reasonable, four loads when the nuggets rise. Cheers!

Sometimes it gets too warm in the house so we let the fire die out, but there always seems to be enough coals in the stove to get it going again without lighting a match. So yes, I guess you can call that 24/7.

P.S. The heat pump thermostat is set to 66 °F (19 °C ), but the only time it ever got that cold was when we were away for the weekend.

24/7 burner here. My feeling is this, if I am going through all the work to cut, split, haul, stack, season, unstack, haul it in the house, and then finally burn wood it better save me some money. I broke even on my first wood burner after 3 months. I took a year on my last stove install to break even so now the payback begins.

It is a little hard to generalize things considering how different the climates are where members live. Some consider 30F degree nighttime temps cold when that is pretty nice in the daytime here. My burning techniques between say 30F and 15F degree weather are quite different, especially when the temps stay in the low range for weeks at a time without a warmup. When it gets to -20F like it did recently it is a whole different senario again. I read some members dealing with -40F or -50F temps and that makes my climate seem moderate. So it really depends where you are as to how well a stove works, what kind of stove you need, what wood is available, and weather 24/7 burning is even necessary.

So far the burning 24/7 crowd seems to have a pretty good lead.

I load, burn, reload, burn, etc., and occasionally empter ashes. We heat virtually only with wood, all winter. One learns to love the ritual!! 'Love that wood stove.

Regards,

I have two stoves. Below 15F they both burn 24/7. Above 15F I alternate but one or the other burns 24/7. The gas furnace has only run one 24 hour period.... I was in Florida for a couple days...

The heritage has been burning since October non-stop. I run the jotul below 32* although it needs re-started with matches on occasion when I miss my opportunity at night and it burns down too much.

Sorry, but at 3.60 a gallon for LP, darn straight I run that stove 24x7.

Installed my first wood stove in the end of Dec. Was only going to have fire for a little ambiance FORGET THAT. My wife and I love it way more than anticipated
been burning 23.5/7 as the ng furnace has been kicking on for about 10-15 minutes in the morning. which is good as it warms up the bathroom which does stay a little cool. I am looking at trees differently now-- HMMM how much heat will that one get me!!!

2 chimneys, 2 stoves, 1 coal, 1 wood. No other heat source.

alright, so far the 24/7 crowd is maintaining their 10 to 1 ratio.

I like the Jupiter option, but the 11 year solar cycles are killing me!!

BeGreen said:
I like the Jupiter option, but the 11 year solar cycles are killing me!!

Long seasons.

I notice that the very few non-24/7 burners comment. This poll isn't anti-part-time burning. At this point I would be pleased as punch is I could let the damn fires go out.

This poll is to see what the true habits are of the active members on this forum.

I try to be a part time burning since our heat pumps works fine. Problem is it's so addicitive I'm burning a lot more often then I would like to. First season burning, so that could be like first love...

In my mind, if you go through the trouble of getting your wood supply ready, cleaning the chimney, the stove, shoveling a path to the wood stack, shoveling the wood stack, getting it into the house, cleaning up after all that goes with wood burning... You better burn 24/7 and get a stove that'll heat your whole house or three like you Browning! :p Unless the climate where you live doesn't require it of course. Otherwise, keep the oil man away. I go over the neighbors house to talk to the oil man when he comes to fill his tank. I actually like the delivery guy, but only get to talk to him twice a year when he delivers 100 gallons every six months. The hot water we use is incredible with a family of six! It takes a lot of work to keep the house between 68 and 78 for free!!

BrowningBAR said:
This poll is to see what the true habits are of the active members on this forum.

Good poll. The true habits of the active members often gets lost in the Hearth Room. I bet if we compared the who creates the threads and who posts in the threads statistics, we would find that activity in the Wood Shed is much more dominated by Active Members than the Hearth Room. I haven't seen anyone run a poll there asking if we are out cutting and gathering wood to heat our homes or just for a few fires around the holidays. There may be active members with 5 cord piles and and others with 40 cord piles, but everyone gathers wood to heat their homes where that is not necessarily true of everyone that burns.

Sounds like you have a really large house or it needs some insulating! No trouble here keeping the house at 75* with -25* temps.

raybonz said:
I think most people here either burn 24/7 or want to.. I have always burned 24/7 unless it is too warm to do so.. There are times that unless I wake up after 4 hrs. sleep that the stove can't keep up like last night when it got to 3 below zero.. I got up 7 hrs. later to massive coals and the heat running to keep the house at 63.. If it was that cold here or colder all the time I would have a much bigger stove to achieve 24/7 heat...

Ray

NATE379 said:
Sounds like you have a really large house or it needs some insulating! No trouble here keeping the house at 75* with -25* temps.

raybonz said:
I think most people here either burn 24/7 or want to.. I have always burned 24/7 unless it is too warm to do so.. There are times that unless I wake up after 4 hrs. sleep that the stove can't keep up like last night when it got to 3 below zero.. I got up 7 hrs. later to massive coals and the heat running to keep the house at 63.. If it was that cold here or colder all the time I would have a much bigger stove to achieve 24/7 heat...

Ray

The house isn't big at 1632 sq. ft. but the 1st floor is all log and they are not the best r-value.. I did identify some serious air leaks by the tracks on my slider yesterday (my IR scanner read 30 degrees there) and also the thresh hold on my front door.. I will seal those leaks up in the spring.. If the logs all sealed perfectly one course to the next the walls would be much warmer but that's never gonna happen.. Fortunately we rarely get weather below zero here...

Ray

Technically we do not burn 24/7 the house would be to hot. We stoke the stove three times a day on a normal day to cycle the heat. Now when it is cold we may maintain it more. The true question is it your only heat source than yes. We have not ran our boiler in three years.

Hankjones said:
I try to be a part time burning since our heat pumps works fine. Problem is it's so addicitive I'm burning a lot more often then I would like to. First season burning, so that could be like first love...

Replace the oil boiler with a heat pump in December. I have burned Burn 24 / 7 the last 3 years to supplement the heat. Saved lots of $ on the oil but 1 stove could not heat the entire house when temps below 30. Thought about adding another stove. Oil was $2400 for the heat season. Just got my first power bill and the new heat pump added $70.00 Don't know if I will add a second stove now. Payback would be to long. Maybe if I can find a used stove.

BrowningBAR said:
I notice that the very few non-24/7 burners comment. This poll isn't anti-part-time burning. At this point I would be pleased as punch is I could let the damn fires go out.

About 1% of the membership here contribute about 99% of the posts. It makes sense to me that the folks most actively occupied with burning as a lifestyle (i.e. 24/7 burners) would be the ones who would mostly likely be the most prolific posters. If so, that might skew the results by a wide margin. A poll like this one is like a using the results of a Fox news poll on overturning Obama's health care reform bill to reflect the feelings of the general populace.

I know an awful lot of people with wood stoves. Only a small percentage of them attempt to heat entirely with wood. It is just too much work for too little reward.

Battenkiller said:
BrowningBAR said:

About 1% of the membership here contribute about 99% of the posts. It makes sense to me that the folks most actively occupied with burning as a lifestyle (i.e. 24/7 burners) would be the ones who would mostly likely be the most prolific posters. If so, that might skew the results by a wide margin. A poll like this one is like a using the results of a Fox news poll on overturning Obama's health care reform bill to reflect the feelings of the general populace.

I know an awful lot of people with wood stoves. Only a small percentage of them attempt to heat entirely with wood. It is just too much work for too little reward.

I disaagree feel most people here tend to take wood heat seriously and do their best to heat their home this way..

Ray

raybonz said:
Battenkiller said:
BrowningBAR said:

I disaagree feel most people here tend to take wood heat seriously and do their best to heat their home this way..

Ray

Agreed Ray. I know several people who heat soley with wood and couldn't care less to spend a minute of their time on Hearth.com reading about it. I imagine most folks who frequent this site are pretty passionate if they're investing thier liesure time here just reading. Not everyone is as talkative as the next guy and some likely don't chime in for the same reason others don't speak up in a classroom. Fear of looking stupid. I have no such fear and I know I'm stupid so....LOL. But seriously, I'm not a full time burner for the reasons stated above in my initial post on this thread, and it's not econmically advantagous for me to harvest/cut/ split my own wood, but I consider myself passionate none the less. I'm itching to get a fire going come October and I lament the night when the stove goes cold for the last time in the spring. It is a lot of work compared to turning up the t stat, but the rewards are many, monetary advantages aside. I get much satisfaction being independent from "the man" if only for 12-14 hours a day, as well as not even turning the pilot of my furnace on til November. For the record, though I did heat soley with wood for one year. New stove, no clue how to run it properly, soaking wet green wood and not enough of it, no money to buy more= a very miserable winter. After learning so much here I know that if I ever overcome the problem with my basement needing heat, I could make the switch from part to full time no problem and will gladly do so. :)

Warm in RI said:
raybonz said:
Battenkiller said:
BrowningBAR said:

Ray

Agreed Ray. I know several people who heat soley with wood and couldn't care less to spend a minute of their time on Hearth.com reading about it. I imagine most folks who frequent this site are pretty passionate if they're investing thier liesure time here just reading. Not everyone is as talkative as the next guy and some likely don't chime in for the same reason others don't speak up in a classroom. Fear of looking stupid. I have no such fear and I know I'm stupid so....LOL. But seriously, I'm not a full time burner for the reasons stated above in my initial post on this thread, and it's not econmically advantagous for me to harvest/cut/ split my own wood, but I consider myself passionate none the less. I'm itching to get a fire going come October and I lament the night when the stove goes cold for the last time in the spring. It is a lot of work compared to turning up the t stat, but the rewards are many, monetary advantages aside. I get much satisfaction being independent from "the man" if only for 12-14 hours a day, as well as not even turning the pilot of my furnace on til November. For the record, though I did heat soley with wood for one year. New stove, no clue how to run it properly, soaking wet green wood and not enough of it, no money to buy more= a very miserable winter. After learning so much here I know that if I ever overcome the problem with my basement needing heat, I could make the switch from part to full time no problem and will gladly do so. :)

Hi Al,
It was good to meet you and your dad last week! I was wondering why you need to heat your basement and if so why not just use electric baseboard if only for short term use? I plan on calling Ray when this snow goes away for 2-3 more cords of wood.. It's great to be ahead and I need to be a little more ahead believe it or not.. Al an investment in wood now will pay dividends down the road.... Be careful to not get all oak as it takes years to season until you can get ahead.. Maple and cherry season quickly and are easy to get around here and heat pretty well too..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.