burning 2x lumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockport Bill

Dec 13, 2007
Brockport, New York
Its it okay or safe to burn 2x building lumber, kiln dried (non pressure treated). I am in construction and generate quite a bit of scrap lumber cut offs. I know they burn hot and quick but I did not know if they would create a lot of creosote with the sappy nature of pine.

Thnaks Bill

my experience has been different. I have a good bit of it from the shop and have tried to use it as firestarter. Doesn't catch well. not sure what a full stove of the stuff would be like but using it for firestarter is a bust.

I burn 2x4 cut ends all the time. I just mix a few in every once in a while. Nothing wrong with pine, especially if you live in an area with few, or no, hardwoods. I think it's Mountain Stove Guy that burns nothing but. Lumber is especially nice and clean, and no bark debris all over the place. Watch the temps.

I've been burning stacks of the stuff - 2x4's from remodeling, pallet scraps, etc. Three or four 2x's seem to make a nice fire, just don't put a dozen of them in the stove and expect to have an all night fire.

I burn 2x4's all the time, I like to put two on a thick load of coals in the morning to burn them down a little, before I load her up.

Status
Not open for further replies.