Burning A Pellet Stove Into A 30 Foot Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Hey gang. Three seasons ago I bought a 25-PDVC for a couple of reasons. None involving heating the house. Burned two bags in it in my basement office and then retired it for later and put the Jotul F3 back in. This year during the HD sale-a-thon on Stove Chow I bought three tons and plan on putting the pellet puppy back on the pipe for next Fall to waft a little heat up the basement stairs on milder days and for something I can start and stop in the short periods I am doing stuff down there. Lot easier than firing up the wood stove.

Question is, anybody with experience burning a pellet stove into a wood stove chimney liner? The liner in the basement flue is 5.5" 316ti and is 30 feet to the sky. Any good, bad or ugly about burning a pellet stove into it? It seemed fine for the couple of bags. I have a stainless adapter from the Simpson pellet pipe to the liner at the thimble.

BB, I don't think you'll have any issues. I mated my 4" pellet pipe to an existing 8" wood stove pipe that goes up another 12' through the roof, and have no issues. I know it's not exactly the same, but I think you'll be OK.

I've run a pellet stove into my former wood stove chimney for 14 years without any issues. One distinct advantage is that a good chimney should already have a good draft.

mine is vented vertical with 4" about 26-27'
sucker draws so good you almost can't tell when the power is interrupted.

Run a brush threw it and you should be good to go.

Eric

Thanks folks.

Hello

For 20 years I used the wood stove with 8" flue in my center of house cinder block chimney with clay liner. For the last 2 years I adapted the 8" down to 4" for my Avalon Astoria Wood Pellet Stove. The info I found recommends that the chimney should not be higher than 30 feet for a wood pellet stove so we both are all set!!

Also there are no combustibles near the exhaust!!
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74298/

See pics. The Stainless Steel is for the house oil boiler that heats are hot water on 1 tank of oil per year!

Attachments

• PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackplane&connection 100sc.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 539
  • MetalChimney 036sc.jpg
    MetalChimney 036sc.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 397
Mine vents into into a 26 ft long 7" SS round flue and runs great. Excellent draft.

I have my Inviro insert connecting to a 4" flex line that is fed approximately 3 feet into a 6" rigid SS liner that goes all the way up my chimney for ~24 feet. I had to make some adjustments to the stoves damper to get the correct burn chamber vacuum, but otherwise, there have been no issues.

It looks like it is good to go. Thanks for all of the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.