Burning Acai pits!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lousyweather

here's something new Im trying....Acai pits......

7800-8300 BTU's/lb
less than .8% ash

Early observations:
little to NO fines in the bag
much less susceptible to water than wood pellets
the pits are smoky smelling....kinda like jerky
slightly harder to light, but the Accentra shown did light them off on the second cycle
ash similar to pellet ash, maybe a bit grittier
price: would be roughly the same as wood pellets, judging by landed cost

Attachments

• IMG_0606 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0606 (Medium).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_0607 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0607 (Medium).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0608 (Medium).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0609 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0609 (Medium).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0610 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0610 (Medium).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0611 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_0611 (Medium).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 631
I think our oil dealer just got some of these in to try. They said so far they burn very hot.

lousyweather, Is that stove rated for multifuel?

Interesting, I think pelletdude burned some last fall. But didn't report on how well they burned. I haven't seen them anywhere around yet. But would like to try them. How is the heat output????

Most multifuel stoves have a pressure igniter system and should have no issues lighting these. My Omega lights off straight corn without a hitch. You could always light it with pellets if there are major issues with lighting them.

Very glad to see some other multifuels hitting the markets. Choices are always good.

Thanks for sharing
jay

jtakeman said:

Interesting, I think pelletdude burned some last fall. But didn't report on how well they burned. I haven't seen them anywhere around yet. But would like to try them. How is the heat output????

Most multifuel stoves have a pressure igniter system and should have no issues lighting these. My Omega lights off straight corn without a hitch. You could always light it with pellets if there are major issues with lighting them.

Very glad to see some other multifuels hitting the markets. Choices are always good.

Thanks for sharing
jay

technically, its only rated to burn pellets or pellets and up to 50% corn.....has an elemental ignitor, not pressure ignition.....as for heat, well, dont have an IR meter, so, cant tell you. I prefer quantitative measurements, rather than just a vague observation....so, dont want to influence that, BUT, if forced to would say that there is no more heat than pellets...possibly less.

the accentra fs (stove in picture, and in question) is rated for 50/50 corn & pellets. never seen the pits though. I bet it'll eat'em like a hungry hungry hippo though.

Delta-T said:
the accentra fs (stove in picture, and in question) is rated for 50/50 corn & pellets. never seen the pits though. I bet it'll eat'em like a hungry hungry hippo though.

I was speaking more of the lighting issue's. Most stoves will burn things with less than .8% ash. Getting them to lite is a bit tougher. Multifuel stoves use igniter systems to assure better lighting. I would bet if you mixed the berry pits 50/50 with wood pellets they would light better. Same as the corn. If you could get the corn lite in the accentra, It probably would burn corn at 100%. I wouldn't try that in many other brand stoves. Unless it had a mixer,stir-er or agitator in the burn pot.

I am suprised Eric didn't come out with his red alert stuff. Would Harman void the warranty if they found out the operator was burning un-approved fuel? Just curious is all.

Delta-T said:

ah what, I have an Accentra. I didn't know they could burn both.

I want some! Where did you find these? Anywhere in these parts (MN)? That would be a new life lister for my stove, she's seen it all thus far. Do you know if you grind a couple in a salad and such if the wife will drop a couple pounds too? Wow, two birds with one stone!

Have not seen them around here but would like to try em out. Can always light the stove up manually if the
ignitor don't like em. ;-) My stoves do a corn/pellet mix with no issues.

Where can I get some? :coolsmile:

jtakeman said:

Thanks for sharing
jay

Jay,

yes I burned them and I still have 40 bags left. They have recently come down in price and the moisture content has been reduced. I believe the new batch is around 6 or 7 %. I don't think they are as hot as good pellets and the ash is rather high. Smell a little like burnt coffee. When I spoke to my guy in California who is bring them to the states from Brazil I told him as long as you can get good low ash and high BTU pellets at the same price, I as a retailer, can't justify carrying them. Since that conversation I can buy them a little cheaper than some pellets and would be able to retail them for around $219.00 per ton. If any one in southern new england wants to try some give me a pm. I am selling them by the bag for $5.00 each.

Steve

I saw them here for over 8 bucks a bag. I said nay nay

Same price as wood pellets, more ash, the same or less heat.....why bother?

Interesting, though.

macman said:
Same price as wood pellets, more ash, the same or less heat.....why bother?

Interesting, though.

to broaden my horizons, of course!

At $219 a ton I'll burn em if I find em!! Little acai, little goldenrod, a little coffee, and at $300 a ton a little wood pellets :p

Schoondog

yeah but they're from BRAZIL! now this is just my 2 cents ( all i can afford lol) i say burn the corn from good ole USA farmers and let leave the "out of towners" alone. corn and pellets , you cant go wrong. if the Accai was from USA id be all over it!
good luck though with the new fuel. its great to have the freedom to dump more than just one type of fuel in aint it? God bless multi-fuel capability!

Lousyweather said:

7800-8300 BTU's/lb
less than .8% ash

Early observations:
slightly harder to light, but the Accentra shown did light them off on the second cycle

How are the pellets working?

Do you find that after the sove has been burning & shuts down & then relights itself...
Do the pits ignite on the first try?

Have they ever ignited on the first try in a cold stove w-new clean pits dumped in?

I spoke with Geoff few weeks ago.
He is getting that product together.

Looks promising especially if he can undercut pellets by a slight percentage.

H ADVANCE said:
Lousyweather said:

7800-8300 BTU's/lb
less than .8% ash

Early observations:

How are the pellets working?

Do you find that after the sove has been burning & shuts down & then relights itself...
Do the pits ignite on the first try?

Have they ever ignited on the first try in a cold stove w-new clean pits dumped in?

I spoke with Geoff few weeks ago.
He is getting that product together.

Looks promising especially if he can undercut pellets by a slight percentage.

well, i dont have the correct instrumentation to measure heat with them, but one observation,a fter almost a week.....a 40 lbs bag burns faster, which would lead me to believe that there are fewer BTU's per pound than the pellet we were burning (New England, Okies)

The Oakies are a very high rated pellet so just about anything you burn.
You would be burning more product.

The NEWP's if they are the higher "J" series made pellets your at a pretty high temp. as per the " Master of Grand Pellet's" tests.

I still would like to know if ever you get the igniter to light them on first try & on auto after the stove auto lights after its auto shut down...

I wonder if "pelletizing" these pits with say coffee or another bio fuel would do anything.
Wonder if they looked into that end of these Acai Pits.

H ADVANCE said:
The Oakies are a very high rated pellet so just about anything you burn.
You would be burning more product.

The NEWP's if they are the higher "J" series made pellets your at a pretty high temp. as per the " Master of Grand Pellet's" tests.

I still would like to know if ever you get the igniter to light them on first try & on auto after the stove auto lights after its auto shut down...

I wonder if "pelletizing" these pits with say coffee or another bio fuel would do anything.
Wonder if they looked into that end of these Acai Pits.

well, good ideas, H, but, I think Ive maybe burned 10 different brands in this thing....how I know its not putting out the same heat is because in virtually every instance with pellets, that stove was still burning in the morning when I went to fill it....but, with the Acai pits, each morning, the stove has been out of pellets and cold.....no other changes....

Once more people realize that Acai berries and the related products manufactured from that berry are just snake oil and have no real health benefits, there won't be any more acai pits to be found.

I dont know, Anton......let me ask the nost notable snake oil salesman I know, Obama......

Status
Not open for further replies.