Burning Again!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colebrookman

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2008
Middlefield, Ma
It' 42*and rainy outside and 57* and raw inside: time to light the Jotul again. It"s been 11 days since I've had a fire and I shut off the back up propane to save $$ so it's back to wood. I must be getting old but I like being warm and a good wood fire warms us on the inside too. Now it's pouring out, great for the flower garden and for the fire problems. Ain't mother nature great.

colebrookman said:
It' 42*and rainy outside and 57* and raw inside: time to light the Jotul again. It"s been 11 days since I've had a fire and I shut off the back up propane to save $$ so it's back to wood. I must be getting old but I like being warm and a good wood fire warms us on the inside too. Now it's pouring out, great for the flower garden and for the fire problems. Ain't mother nature great.

Just about the same senerio here in central NY. Been like summer for the last week or so. Very little wood burning, and zip for LP. In fact, I JUST fired up the T6 for the 1st time in probably a week.

Yeah, I fired her up last night. The weather dolt said it was supposed to go below freezing. It didn't. 75F when I woke up. But hey, all those nibblets and chunks are more than enough to warm it up.

As for the rest of the week it'll be touch and go. Towards the end of the week it's supposed to get "near 50" which makes for though burning.

No, it didn't freeze last night, but tonight and especially tomorrow night will be cold. However, towards the end of the week it should be well above 50. Forecast is for 55 Wednesday, 62 for Thursday and 66 Friday. Low 60's Sat. and Sunday.

Yes, our stove also has burning wood inside.

I must admit, I started a fire last night to take the chill off. It has been close to 3 weeks sicne we have had a fire. Will have another one tonight, tmorrow night and probably through the weekend during the evenings

Last night, I didn't but should have. Come to think of it, I miss it and think I will tonight; even if I have to leave the window open a crack!

Lit the Morso yesterday morning...it was 62 in living roon when i got up and overcast. Warmed the house right up and I kept it low all day so as to not blast us out of the house. Tossed a couple splits in right before bed and let it go out overnight...about 68 or so in the morning so we're good for today.

Still burning small fires in the evenings,downstairs 60 and upstairs 68. Problem is that big screen is downstairs and I think it safer to burn a little in the evening rather than moving the tv upstairs. Past experience has taught me that the less we move electronics around the longer they tend to last ;-)

Had one going yesturday, threw in some really dry ash & cherry.

Woodbutcher

i also had a fire last night, and will have another tonight just to keep the chill off.

I Fired up the Napolean on saturday Its rainy and cold so Im going to fire it up tonight

I just gave up and am starting up the 30. 80 three days ago and cold and wet today and tomorrow.

I had fire last night, woke up to 3 inches of snow this morning. Have another fire going tonight since the temp is suppose to drop down to 25.

Snowed most of the afternoon here, but none of it stuck to the ground. Into the 20's tonight, so the stove
is cruising along at 650 in an effort to warm up the wife. I have a feeling I'll be in boxer shorts before the
evening is done (not necessarily a bad thing). :)

Last week I thought we were done burning...even started painting the house. But the last 2 days were around 50* so yeah...we're still burning. One thing though it sure is easy raising the temp with the occasional log to 70+ with the outdoor temp being 50*...feels good too when you come in from the damp outside.

I ran out of dry wood for the year - so we have the baseboard heat going :mad: Next year will be a different story - I have been hard and my pile is huge now - but not ready.

We are still waiting for spring in Western, WA.

"Wintery mix" of snow & rain falling right now...after a weekend of really nice weather. Got plenty of seasoned wood on hand, but it was s'posed to be for the next couple of seasons. Rick

Burnt last night and will again tonight here in Central Maine. Cool, damp, and rainy. Still have about a cord of seasoned oak left. Hard to control the heat output with that stuff though when the outside temps are above 35-40F.

No complaints though!

Okay, okay,
Had to wake the Summit up tonight.
Calling for near or possible record breaking low tonight. 32 or lower.
The nuke plant has taken one of the towers offline for yearly maintenance, so I suppose I'll pick up the slack. ;)

Hogwildz said:
Okay, okay,
Had to wake the Summit up tonight.
Calling for near or possible record breaking low tonight. 32 or lower.
The nuke plant has taken one of the towers offline for yearly maintenance, so I suppose I'll pick up the slack. ;)

Hey Hog: not much different here in the pnw, still chilly at night. Big Screen downstairs, so the wife bitches if the fire isn`t going when she gets home from work, so I torch it around 5pm and she is happy.

I`m surprised though at you, thought the company would just toss some of those expent rods onto your property and you would be cook`in :coolsmile:

Lit up the stove this evening. Wind shifted to the north and it went from 53 to 41 in about 4 hrs. It'll be chilly tonight.

Mid thirties last night so, as usual, not done here near as soon as I always hope for. Both stove fired off and the winter goes on.

We set a new record last night, 30 degrees from 31 degrees previous.
Of course being in the sticks, the news made a big deal of it.
Summit kept us quite toasty without much effort. Going up to 58 or so today, no need to keep her going. Maybe a nudder fire tonight.
It may be me, but I remember when we used to get 4 seasons here. Now its cold to hot it seems. Spring & Fall seem to be getting shorter & shorter.

we are having flurries here right now. was 29 degrees this morning. I did have a fire last night, when I went to bed around 9ish it was 81 in my house. I didnt put enough splits on though, cause at 7am in was 60 and the fire was about out

Status
Not open for further replies.