Burning all the punky cast-asides this last week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I've set aside some great wood for next year but down to scraps for the final week or 2 of cold weather here in central VA. This coming week is supposed to be cold so today I collected all the punky logs I had previously cast aside and split them up. They seem dry enough but pretty light! Tonight well be incinerating lots of ants, larvae and termites (I'm keeping the wood in a wheelbarrow, not inside) and seeing how quickly this punky stuff goes up.

thats what im doing, on these days with only one fire at night im burning up the junk and miss shapes and burly unstackable wood

Yep, 'tis that time of year here, too. Although the forecast is calling for us to welcome the spring equinox with 4-8 inches of snow on the ground with more coming. But we've had enough 60-70 degree days in January and February that I can't complain too much. Maybe get to try out my Christmas present-show shovel for the first time!

Corey

I got a little more wood cut. I had to bite the bullet and dig out some 8' logs that i had stacked up in the yard. Cut a few up and split and stacked. I proabably cut about a half a face cord. Im not to gung ho to split this time of year. Im ready for spring!

Yep, we're down to our last row of good wood. Our neighbor just laid a face cord of recent, deadfall hemlock on me. Not my favorite, but wood's wood. Half of it is in rounds that will need to dry out over the summer after they've been split. The other half was already split, but still a little damp. Yesterday I split up a bunch into smaller splits to accelerate drying. Heating season can go through May in some years here. I expect we'll be heating with the wood stove in the evenings until end of April. By then, it's not really cold, but often won't get much above 60 for several days with nights in the low 50's. Normally we just let the pellet stove handle it.

Last night was down to 34 and I tried burning some of the hemock. Kinda hit and miss. Some pieces burned fine and some needed a lot of coaxing. I also have some bottom of the pile wood that got under cover late. Some of it still isn't fully dry. It burns ok as long as I select the best sticks. Fortunately I still have the last row of nice dry madrona and maple left over that is helping keep the fire hot.

I have 3/4 cord or more of old stuff that has about 20% of it bug damaged. we are burning that now but I don't expect the season to last long enough to get rid of it. such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.