Burning American Elm (white)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonna

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2008
mn
Just curious what your opinion is on burning white elm. I have had a glut of it for years and have found it to be semi smokey, good heat output but moderate to low burn times.

Anyone burn it in a CAT stove? I can't wait to find some more red, white and ash.

I am kind of dreading the huge silver maple laying down right now, because I know will wind up processing it! Burn what ya got I guess.

Burning through a pile of super dry Red Elm now. Exellent.

Ehouse

I burn lots of American (or white) elm. I burn lots of silver maple also. All wood has the same amount of btu/lb and I've never heard the wife complain about heat coming out of the stove.

Matt

I like it but dont burn that much any more, silver maple and elm work good in the warmer parts of the year.

I agree, red elm is a different animal. I burned some last night and got a good 12 hours of it, had enough coals to restart! A load of white elm gets me about 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.