Burning and Drywall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Mar 1, 2012
Central CT
Greetings.

Hope all had a safe, warm season.

Okay, curious: I'm particularly interested in the the possible negative effects
of burning and sheetrock, specifically the taping. 50yr old cape with drywall
cracking issues, some due to house settling. Some of the ceilings need to be
redone due to mold issues and I'm wondering if there are better compound
choices over others for taping.

Thanks in Advance and Cheerio,

Mr Otis B Driftwood, Esq

The issues are not unrelated to wood heat. We've never used any special compound, just regular drywall mud and have zero issues, even right behind the stove.

I moved into a house that has sheetrock but was only used in the summer and fall. It had a small underpowered Resolute. That was replaced with a Progress Hybrid and I live here full time. I have no taping issues but any wood molding etc. surely shrinks and cracks, and the raised panels on the doors shrinks as you can tell by the exposure of bare wood where it was painted. Sheetrock/tape/compound is quite stable. Moisture is it's big enemy.

When you take down the moldy ceiling drywall, find and fix the source of the moisture or you will be doing it again before you know it. If it's saggy and moldy, the water came from above. Surface mold just on the living space side is uncommon unless there's a water source (such as an unventilated shower) nearby.

I guess a woodstove could eventually cause joints to become excessively dry, but with humidity that low you'd experience personal problems before you experienced drywall problems.

Greetings.

Hope all had a safe, warm season.

Okay, curious: I'm particularly interested in the the possible negative effects
of burning and sheetrock, specifically the taping. 50yr old cape with drywall
cracking issues, some due to house settling. Some of the ceilings need to be
redone due to mold issues and I'm wondering if there are better compound
choices over others for taping.

Thanks in Advance and Cheerio,

Mr Otis B Driftwood, Esq
Only issues I have had are with wet mud drying while the stove is running in the house. I found that the drywall that I did on the stove end of the house cracked because the top layer dried so fast while the layer under was still wet/damp. I was using green top for setting tape and blue for finishing. The green dires a lot harder and is much harder to sand where the blue dries softer and easier to sand hence why I use it for final coats.

Wood burning in the home does not effect sheetrock. Look elsewhere for the cause of your Sheetrock problems.

The issues are not unrelated to wood heat. We've never used any special compound, just regular drywall mud and have zero issues, even right behind the stove.

Thank You, Mr Green and to all who replied.

I figgered that the issue was settling but thought hot air could be a factor.

Nonetheless, I also understand my hot air is the subject of much consternation.

Cheers!

We get some cracks in the dry wall . . . particularly in some of the corners, but I believe it's due to the movement of the house.

Reactions: Highbeam
We get some cracks in the dry wall . . . particularly in some of the corners, but I believe it's due to the movement of the house.
Yes, the only cracks we have seen are from a really bad tape job in one location and from earthquake shakes.