Burning ash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

acritzer

May 10, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Started burning a load of ash and am noticing it seems to be different than what I had previously. Harder to get going, less active flame, but does seem to burn down more completely the other stuff.

Do certain woods make different fires? Or am I crazy? Or does it all depend on the moisture content more than the type of wood?

Burning ash?
Burning ash?

My only complaint with white ash firewood is the coals it produces compared to beech and maple or oak that i burn.

Well, nothing beats a good piece of ash or a bunch of ash coals to get your fire going....

(I know, but some one had to make the jokes...)
🙃😁🤣🤣😂😁

Could it be brown ash you are burning? I cut some a long time back. I remember it to have alot of moisture and slow to dry unlike white ash which is drier green than other common good burning hardwoods. The above chart lists white ash as moderate to split but a pile of white ash after a stretch of sub zero weather makes splitting fun. Brown ash logs are pounded to loosen strips along the rings by and for traditional basket makers. Other places may call it black ash.