Burning Bark and Punky Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey_C

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
When I bought my used Vermont castings Intrepid pre 1990 non catalytic stove the folks offered me the wood they had stacked up on a pallet under a tarp.

There are many nice pieces of seasoned wood but also lots of bark and punky wood. Is it ok to use the bark for kindling and /or mix in the punky wood?

TIA

Attached are some images

Attachments

• 20160807_084144.jpg
    20160807_084144.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 598
  • 20160807_084155.jpg
    20160807_084155.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 364
It'll burn if dry though it may be a bit smokey.

Reactions: Joey_C
Depends on the state of punkiness. If it is just the outer rings, should be fine as long as it is dry. If more than 1/2 way through, toss it in the woods. It will never be dry enough to burn, and will burn like shat.

Depends on the state of punkiness. If it is just the outer rings, should be fine as long as it is dry. If more than 1/2 way through, toss it in the woods. It will never be dry enough to burn, and will burn like shat.

Right on, and usually smells like shat too.:)

Bark also makes lots of ash.

I burn lots of bark. It burns great. Smokier than wood to start but there is plenty of heat in it. Our doug fir bark can be 2-3 inches thick.

Punky wood will burn too if it is dry but less well and more like shat. Which will also burn if it is dry enough.

I used to work for pulp mill. They had 100 years of bark piled up and buried around town. They put in bark boiler an hauled the bark out of the piles and burned it for twenty plus years. The buried stuff burned better than the fresh stuff. They ran out of the buried stuff a few years before they shut the place down. It wasn't the only place in New England that did it.

Think about this, if the bark was on a split - would you burn it ?

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.