1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Stateguy

Stateguy New Member

If you accumlate alot of dryout bark is it ok to burn in the stove

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. James02

James02 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    L-Town...N.Y.
    Sure...I use it to rekindle fires, I even use it for start ups...
  3. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    No harm in it as long as it is dry. I don't go out of my way to bring bark into the house or to keep it out. If it is on the wood it stays. If it falls off outside I generally leave it outside and it will end up in the compost pile, if it falls off inside (or in the buckets on the way in) I just toss it in with the rest of the wood and I've never particularly noticed it making a material difference in the burn. Sure it lights up rather quick generally, but I don't think it really has a lot of heat value.

I don't think I'd consider putting a 'full load' of bark in the stove - I have no idea how that would go, but given that it tends to be messy to begin with I think that would be too much effort. If I had a lot of bark then presumably I have the wood to go along with it... no reason to take it off and burn it on its own I guess is my point.
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Okay to burn dry bark. Expect a lot of ashes for a little heat.
  6. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    I usually collect the bark for a while and then find a moderate day to burn it all. It makes for a good temperature when it is a bit warmer outside.
  7. legrandice

legrandice Burning Hunk

Loc:
    South Hadley, MA
    if my bark falls off the wood before it makes it inside..then off to the compost. If it's still attached then into the stove. Not worth the ash buildup/lower heat output.
  8. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    I like to throw the bark in a bucket and break it up for mulching flower beds.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I've been prone to chipping off birch bark (or putting birch split son the bottom of a fresh load) because it lights up better than kindling. Anything that falls off during splitting or moving, I toss in the woods though. Tree chips, newspaper, or fat stick work better IMO.
  10. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sometimes i like to take a paper bag and fill it with a couple inches of bark/sawdust/whatever scrap is laying around, then roll the bag up tight. Do it a bunch of times and you have some nice fire starting logs.
  11. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Mulch.