burning bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure...I use it to rekindle fires, I even use it for start ups...

No harm in it as long as it is dry. I don't go out of my way to bring bark into the house or to keep it out. If it is on the wood it stays. If it falls off outside I generally leave it outside and it will end up in the compost pile, if it falls off inside (or in the buckets on the way in) I just toss it in with the rest of the wood and I've never particularly noticed it making a material difference in the burn. Sure it lights up rather quick generally, but I don't think it really has a lot of heat value.

I don't think I'd consider putting a 'full load' of bark in the stove - I have no idea how that would go, but given that it tends to be messy to begin with I think that would be too much effort. If I had a lot of bark then presumably I have the wood to go along with it... no reason to take it off and burn it on its own I guess is my point.

Okay to burn dry bark. Expect a lot of ashes for a little heat.

I usually collect the bark for a while and then find a moderate day to burn it all. It makes for a good temperature when it is a bit warmer outside.

if my bark falls off the wood before it makes it inside..then off to the compost. If it's still attached then into the stove. Not worth the ash buildup/lower heat output.

I like to throw the bark in a bucket and break it up for mulching flower beds.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I've been prone to chipping off birch bark (or putting birch split son the bottom of a fresh load) because it lights up better than kindling. Anything that falls off during splitting or moving, I toss in the woods though. Tree chips, newspaper, or fat stick work better IMO.

Sometimes i like to take a paper bag and fill it with a couple inches of bark/sawdust/whatever scrap is laying around, then roll the bag up tight. Do it a bunch of times and you have some nice fire starting logs.

Mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.