Burning Basswood???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lab17

Sep 25, 2012
Anyone have experience burning basswood? I know its a soft hardwood species but one came down across the access where I cut some of my wood.

If it is easy to get, I go for it. It is easy to process and season, and makes good shoulder wood. I have heard it is better for carving though. I burned some last year and it did fine considering I didn't pay for it.

Cut it, split it, let it dry.. and burn it!

Not great, but not bad. I wouldn't go after it on purpose.. but it's taking up nutrients from your soil. Cut it and hope something better moves in.

JP

Good for the shoulder season, but it stinks when burning, makes a lot of ash, and doesn't last very long in the stove.
If it's free and you have the space to store it, go for it.....

Reactions: LEES WOOD-CO
Shoulder season and kindling . . . mostly kindling for me.

One good thing . . . you can really feel like a he-man when you start lifting huge rounds as it looks impressive as they are rather light compared to other wood species of the same size.

Thanks guys, good call on the kindling, I need some more anyway probably will take a few rounds and convert to kindling. I cut some of it today, but my real goal was to get the 20" burr Oak that has been standing dead for 10 years and finally came down this winter so I got that out of the woods today. Was not sure it would be solid still but hard as a rock in the center, made me happy.

Reactions: zap
We got some 10 year old white oak this year and it is fine. This oak was all on the ground too.

Status
Not open for further replies.