Burning Black Locust in a CAT stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I just talked to a guy who has some black locust he wants to sell me. The reason it sounds good is that he says this wood is very dry and Ive heard great things about locust. I have a lot of free firewood in my driveway right now but its fresh green sumac and its over a year from being seasoned enough for my preference - and I need some to finish out the month of March.

I told him about my wanting to get a Blaze King and he said that Locust burns too hot for CATS and could damage my stove ?

Coming from a guy who is trying to sell me wood - I figure he has no reason to lie but Ive not read this anywhere.

Anybody know anything about woods that burn too hot for a CAT stove ?

I've never heard of some wood that burns too hot to burn in a cat stove. Cats can suffer from flame impingement or thermal shock, but a stove like the BK with a thermostatically controlled operation should be able to regulate the fire well enough to prevent these cat killers. I've never used a BK, but even with my DW I can controll the fire well enough to prevent flame impingement (from flames directly hitting the cat for extended periods of time, or thermal shock caused by extremely quick temperature changes (usually caused by adding wet cold wood on a hot fire without disengaging the cat.)

First full year with our new cat BK and were burning locust and hedge and haven't had any problems, i never FILL it up with either of them strait, a few pieces at a time, but thats all it takes it burns hot and for awhile, i save those two woods for the coldest days. we had a scary bad exp. with filling up our old non cat BK with locust and i won't be doing that again. I always mix it with something that dont burn as hot if i'm going to fill it up. Hope this helps. JD

Locust + cat stove = wonderful heat.

Bill

I fill the BK up with whatever I want, locust included, and let the tstat do its thing. Species makes no difference other than burn time.

Attachments

• typical load.jpg
    typical load.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 408
Ok, I'll post this pic again, only cause I have been impressed with my cat's performance during this shoulder season. This load went in after midnight, it still has coals for another hour with matchfree restart at 11.20am right now! The wood was a big oak rectangle, maple round and some small maple splits. Deep bed of coals. I like how the cat does during a variety of climates here in New England. Snow last night, today upper 40's, tonight back to the teens? Mine is very manageable and easy to operate.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 393
Don't burn locust in your cat stove. It will melt down. I have an official locust disposal site license. PM me for shipping address.

No. Ship it all to me because I'm closer than BeGreen is.

Although we have a cat stove, I would never even consider not burning locust. Bring it on! Somehow your guy has gotten some bad information.

Sorry Dennis, you're not allowed to burn it in your cat stove. I have an EPA sanctioned locust burner on site.

I heard its no good in Pacific Energy and Woodstock Stoves. And I wouldn't trust black locust in a BK.

I have some cottonwood I will trade with you. But I'm only going to help you this time. Well if your nice next time too.....

Not true. Mine has been tested with locust and is a very happy camper indeed with blue fire in its belly.

I think the only way to contain the high temperature burn that locust gives off is to properly fit in the friebox of a double wall cast iron convection cat stove. The cat MUST be located at the top of the firebox and must be supplied with a pre heated supply of secondary air to prevent flame impingement. This is the most effective way of harvesting pure clean energy from the high output dense wood that is the locust. If you need some assistance, feel free to send me your supply and I'll put out a video showing how to best perform this difficult task. Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to serving the hearth.com community in this unusually dangerous disposal of the evil locust. :coolsmile: Make sure to have dark safety glasses while watching the resulting video.

BeGreen said:
Not true. Mine has been tested with locust and is a very happy camper indeed with blue fire in its belly.
I have heard otherwise :) ;-P ;-P

For the sake of scientific experiment, I'll try it . I just need a few cord to sample and test. PM me for shipping address.- (the things I do for people I don't know, sheesh!)

wise *$$! LOL

Hiram Maxim said:
I heard its no good in Pacific Energy and Woodstock Stoves. And I wouldn't trust black locust in a BK.

I have some cottonwood I will trade with you. But I'm only going to help you this time. Well if your nice next time too.....

I don't know anything about burning locusts but I certainly would not buy them from a stranger.

I've burned locust a few times and yes it burns hot but you control the air and you will be fine.. You will experience higher temps burning large loads of small splits (also more likely to get backpuffs on loads of small stuff) and intense heat as it all wants to burn at the same time.. Larger splits offer a more controlled fire in my experience and long burn times too.. I would like to get some more locust sometime for the cold weather but it isn't as common here.. Every time I ask my woodguy he doesn't have locust and he told me many of his customers don't want it and that's because they don't know you need a hot bed of coals to burn locust..

Ray

For crying out loud already, a less dense wood is more apt to burn hotter for a short period of time, some body make it stop.

oldspark said:
For crying out loud already, a less dense wood is more apt to burn hotter for a short period of time, some body make it stop.

Oldspark the person who posted this is a new poster here so I explained this to them.. Not everyone knows these things and at one time I didn't know it either.. The same thing goes for burning seasoned wood as that is the biggest mistake new burners make is burning wet wood... I am trying to offer constructive help here and that should not be a problem..

Ray

raybonz said:
oldspark said:

Oldspark the person who posted this is a new poster here so I explained this to them.. Not everyone knows these things and at one time I didn't know it either.. The same thing goes for burning seasoned wood as that is the biggest mistake new burners make is burning wet wood... I am trying to offer constructive help here and that should not be a problem..

Ray
Kinda goofing around and forgot the smiley face so here it is, better late than never. :)

oldspark said:
raybonz said:
oldspark said:

Ray
Kinda goofing around and forgot the smiley face so here it is, better late than never. :)

:) I feel much better now lol.. When I started burning over 20 yrs. ago I made so many mistakes it isn't funny.. Had this forum been around back then I could have saved myself so much grief! I stopped burning for about 5 yrs. because oil was cheap and I didn't save much money plus the frustration of burning wet wood.. Burning good dry wood made 99% of my problems vanish.. I am much smarter thanks to the people in this forum and can speak from experience on what not to do now..

Ray

raybonz said:
oldspark said:
raybonz said:
oldspark said:

Ray

:) I feel much better now lol.. When I started burning over 20 yrs. ago I made so many mistakes it isn't funny.. Had this forum been around back then I could have saved myself so much grief! I stopped burning for about 5 yrs. because oil was cheap and I didn't save much money plus the frustration of burning wet wood.. Burning good dry wood made 99% of my problems vanish.. I am much smarter thanks to the people in this forum and can speak from experience on what not to do now..

Ray

Ray, you really made a grand statement there! If others would learn this and do it, the only bad result would be that heart.com would not be so busy.

Backwoods Savage said:
raybonz said:
oldspark said:
raybonz said:
oldspark said:

Ray

Ray

Ray, you really made a grand statement there! If others would learn this and do it, the only bad result would be that heart.com would not be so busy.

Dennis this is something you preach on a daily basis and it is the single most important thing a wood burner must do to get good results.. Secondly a good draft makes a world of difference too.. Most other problems tend to be stove problems such as gaskets, a bad cat etc.. The trouble is people tend to want instant gratification but some things in life take time to make right such as fine wine and firewood but you know the story! BTW hope your hip is coming along well..

Ray

SmokeyCity said:
wise *$$! LOL

Hiram Maxim said:

Smokey,

I'm pulling your leg :cheese:

Black Locust is Fantastic!

Cheers,Hiram

Thanks Ray. Yes, buying or gathering firewood is not like buying gas or oil. It has to be gotten well ahead of time to work right but few seem to understand that at least when they first start burning wood. Still, I know some older folks who still burn green wood and just won't change. A chimney fire here or there doesn't even seem to bother them. They think this is a good way to clean the chimney....

I sort of overdone things Thursday and Friday so am a bit sore so taking it easy all weekend. It will be fine by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.