1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Burning black locust

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Backwoods Savage, Jan 22, 2013.

1. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Yes black and honey locust are close with honey being a tad better as seen in the above referenced chart..

Ray

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Sounds good Todd. I had been turning the draft to 50% when engaging but still no dice. But I might also think it could be because our chimney is shorter. It usually gives no problems but perhaps this is one instance that it did. I also think we would have had to add on to the chimney had we put the Progress in.
  3. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

I do not understand the problems burning BL. I got a half cord last year from an arborist that said "I hope you have a good stove to burn this stuff in". Not to worry! It was good and dry, already cut and split, and only cost me gas money. I had zero problems burning it. Open door, throw in wood, close door. Lots of heat, burns long, coals up, great firewood. I did not notice any stink to it, but I an used to burning cottonwood so anything that does not smell like cat pee is fine with me.

Reading about BL online on the BTU/wood species burning characteristic web sites, they often list BL as 'hard to burn.' I wish I had more hard to burn species in my stacks.
    raybonz likes this.
  4. Stax

Stax Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern PA
    Stihl, I'm with you. I could care less about the smell as well. Love BL.
    blujacket likes this.
  5. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
  6. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Why, does that smell?

Oh krykeeee! Now you guys tell me! I just finished splitting a few cords over the last few weeks of BL, and split it all BIG, so I can get long burns with it. Now suddenly it needs to be small, ans stinks!

Hmmmm.... very interesting thought. I used to split and stack anything and everything randomly, never even thought about what it was. Lately, I've been splitting and stacking each species separetaly, and was just thinking the other day how I would handle that in the next few years, do I dig into two different stacks (BL for cold days, pine and maple.... for the other days)? I kinda like the just mix it all up idea.

It smells like olives when freshly split and stacked. I confirmed that 100%. Does it smell like olives when burned?

Lastly, anyone with a PH burn any BL loads? How does the PH handle it?
    tfdchief likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Smells super sweet when cutting. I think about the sweetest smelling wood there is. Not the best for burning but will do for short fires.