Burning coal and wood together

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
Any of you burn wood and coal together. Bituminuous Coal is what i am asking about. I can burn either in my boiler (non Gasser) and was gonna try mixing wood and coal to produce better heat through the night. If anyone does this how do you load your boiler Coal on top or coal on bottom and typically how much. More coal than wood or more wood than coal. I know I can play around with this and figure it out but just wandering what others do

Friend of mine does just that with a memco, I think. It doesn't have coal grates, but he'll throw a scoop or two on top of a good foundation of wood thats about ready to make a good bed of coals. Goes thru the night very well. Gets up in the am ans the boilers still pretty close to 180. Don't know the recipe of how he does it, but he's impressed with it.

Thanks for your reply. Wow I'm really surprised nobody burns coal on here. Its running between $40 and $90 a ton here in WV. A lot of people burn coal and I have a little experience around it but was curious what others do. I'm gonna try it in my boiler and see how it does. In regular coal stoves it really puts out the heat so it should work fine. I do have coal grates in my boiler but no fan so it may not work as expected

At $40 to $90/ton I'd burn it also. Here in the CT, it goes for about $150/ton in bulk. When I was using my Buderus I ran some anthracite in it. The btu/volume & burn times are impressive & that boiler is ideal for coal. I have some left that I plan to mix in to my EKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.