Burning corn in a Harman pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teng3

Oct 30, 2007
Central New Jersey
Hello,

I've been reading on the forum that burning corn in a Harman Pellet stove would void the warranty on the stove, or at least the components that are effected by burning corn (igniter, firebox, etc).

--> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/917/

I just ordered the Advance model and I was wondering if there was any backing to this claim since it's impossible to contact Harman directly. My dealer insisted that up to a 60/40 wood/corn ratio is acceptable. I would take his word for it and I do trust him, but hypothetically, if someone here is saying that it would in fact void the warranty, I would like to know about it.

I'm also considering the fact that the Advance is the first Harman stove to implement an auto-ignite feature and perhaps the technology is dated and not designed for corn??? In the product brochure, the Advance and all other pellet stoves have a listed fuel type of "Biomass pellets". I would like to believe that this includes corn or else they would specify "wood pellets" instead. Does anyone have an answer for this?

~Tim

Ahh, I thought i've seen that somewhere. Actually, I guess there's a discrepency because I have a product pamphlet printed by Harman listing all of their "Pellet & Corn Stove" models. Each of the model's fuel type is listed as "Bio-mass pellets." I presumed Bio-mass was inclusive of wood and other types of fuel like corn and grains.

Status
Not open for further replies.