Burning Corn in a P series Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
Has anyone tried this? Manual says they'll burn up to 50% corn/pellets mix.

I doubt anyone will be burning corn this year, cost is way to high. I have a p68 and have never tried, I would like to hear if anyone has as well.

I agree the cost will probably never be cheaper then pellets, but I was just curious if anyone has tried it.

I have been experimenting with blends in my two pc45s.
Up 25 percent corn in the pellet pot before there is to much air and the fire gets moved down the pot and starts to go out with my corn. About 5 percent gives a very nice magma pile with lots of blue flame. I have a grain pot with the cover that is supposed to reflect down more heat to help combust corn etc and has stirrer to break up the clinkers.
I will stick with the pellet pot and 5 percent or so corn as I dont want to be replacing the pots and stirrers as the higher temps eats them up and the corn releases more acid and eats up the exaust systems.

Right now the cost is too high. Things could change someday, So its good to have experience burning it for options. With 75% pellets and 25% corn I hardly notice a difference(burned in pellet mode). 50/50 was OK but I did see lots more ash and some clinkers(had to burn in multifuel mode). 100% was like lava flows. Must add something to help like oyster shells(also burned in multifuel mode). . I did find grass pellets(timothy grass) with its high silica content did wonders at breakin up the clinkers.

My best corn mix was 25% corn, 25% grass and 50% softwood pellets. Great heat and almost no clinkers at all. Ash was no worse than a bad shoulder pellet(about 1%). If you do try some tinker with the ratio to find a good balance. 50/50 might be much for some stoves.

Now the warnings: Must have a multifuel rated vent and corn is very corrosive to the stove innards.

Now the warnings: Must have a multifuel rated vent and corn is very corrosive to the stove innards.

Great to know. Not that I ever expect to burn any unless we stop making ethanol, just wondering if anyone tried it and how they burned.

I checked a few days ago an it was 10 bucks for 50lbs here in pa.

New plant in Iowa to produce ethanol from grass. Search AURI for the info. The bug to digest is a very close kin to Japans Saki.

Status
Not open for further replies.