1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Burning corn in Breckwell Big E?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by beagle, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beagle

beagle New Member

In the owners manual it says pellets only. However, I have seen many people on this site say they are burning a 50/50 mix of corn/pellets in other brands of stoves. Does the Big E have a different design compared to most pellet stoves that would prevent me from burning a corn/pellet mix?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    THe auger system in the breckwells will tend to jam with corn. Stick with pellets.
  3. n3vhr

n3vhr New Member

Don't know about the auger systems jamming, but I have a Big E. I saw in the back of the manual about burning corn at a 50/50 mix. I e-mailed Breckwell and they told me that 50/50 mix would be too much. They said that I could burn a 2 to 1 pellet / corn mix without voiding my warranty. We have been burning this mix since middle of December. The corn does produce more ash, but burns hotter. With just the pellets we were burning at the "4" setting 24/7. Using the corn mix, we burn at the "3" setting and we're getting more heat. We shut the stove down every evening to clean it out and then fire it right back up. So far so good. Hope it stays that way.
    Brad
  4. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    Thats a very good point n3, beagle you should follow whats in your manual. I havent sold breckwell in a few years. They must have made some changes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.