Burning corn in Breckwell Big E?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beagle

Dec 20, 2005
In the owners manual it says pellets only. However, I have seen many people on this site say they are burning a 50/50 mix of corn/pellets in other brands of stoves. Does the Big E have a different design compared to most pellet stoves that would prevent me from burning a corn/pellet mix?

Don't know about the auger systems jamming, but I have a Big E. I saw in the back of the manual about burning corn at a 50/50 mix. I e-mailed Breckwell and they told me that 50/50 mix would be too much. They said that I could burn a 2 to 1 pellet / corn mix without voiding my warranty. We have been burning this mix since middle of December. The corn does produce more ash, but burns hotter. With just the pellets we were burning at the "4" setting 24/7. Using the corn mix, we burn at the "3" setting and we're getting more heat. We shut the stove down every evening to clean it out and then fire it right back up. So far so good. Hope it stays that way.
Brad

Thats a very good point n3, beagle you should follow whats in your manual. I havent sold breckwell in a few years. They must have made some changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.