Burning Corn or Mixing corn and pellets in a P61 or M55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a very simple dryer and get the corn down below 10%. The Bixby needed to be adjusted down some it burns so much better. Looks like a gas flame most of the time. Reduces the consumption of the mix in the Harman too. When I have the wood stove going in the shop I use it to dry the corn. About five gallons of corn an hour.

I keep forgetting you have a spaceship too.

This may seem like a stupid question but how do you dry corn down to 10%?

Read post 24 from BB...he explains it. he might post a picture of his appratus or there might already be one on site.....

You could techinically park a screened office wastebasket in front of your stove while operating and that would drive down the moisture content of the corn inside and at the same time, impart humidity to the living space.

Of course everything would smell like field corn, but thats not all bad....

Of course everything would smell like field corn
Smells like corn bread in the oven that goes well with Maple syrup but that was a total bust here and last year was a record season
Tony I PM'd you with POC drier

Syrup is a bust here too. Too big of temperature swings. I didn't/haven't gotten enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket yet. Guess the turkey fryer will just be frying wild turkey and melting lead for cast bullets this year......

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a St Croix Auburn, I am going to sell it because I would like a easier stove to burn and clean. I was looking at either a Harman P61 or Enviro M55. Has anyone mixed pellets and corn in a P61? any trouble? The Harman dealer has also found a new PC45 left in the area, should I buy it? I am not sure I want the Enviro because I already have the Venting for 3" vent for corn and I don't think I want to invest in 4" venting. Any suggestions would be great!
Matt

Ask Bogieb her opinion on this also. She has a St Croix and a P61.
I have burned a 50/50 corn and pellet mix in my P68 and it worked like a charm. No issues at all but I did notice the fire box ash was different and a bit more black and sticky. I am working on my corn leads for next heating season. How much do they want for the new left over PC45?

A semi local ex-dealer had a few for sale here for $2,600 over in Indiana. I bought a nice used one for $1,600 with extras. The 45's are not as responsive as the newer units but are very good stoves. My 45 takes longer to get up to cruising altitude. The 68 is quick. Difference is the 45 can burn 100% corn whereas the 68's and new models can burn a 50/50 mix which some chose to do anyway. Bioburner knows a lot about the 45's and corn along with others. If pellet prices get stupid I'll burn corn or wood. Corn being cheaper I am intending on burning a 50/50 mix next season as is.

Oh yeah, a ball point pin that has a clicker on top where the pen retracts works great for switching the dip switches. The hole fits right onto them.

We aim to please...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.