1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

burning cotton seed

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smirnov3, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickenman

chickenman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blowhard Victoria Australia
    Still no reply from the Cotton company. Might have to poke em again or try someone else.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Normande

Normande New Member

Loc:
    SW New Hampshire
    Wheat 7.50/bu
    Corn 6.7/bu
    Pellets/245/ton of 40 lb bags
    Diesel 3.40/g off road
    Gasoline 3.48/gallon
    At your whet prices just burn wheat, but I was looking at a saw dust pellet pto driven machine not a lot of capacity maybe 2 ton/ hr, but not real expensive, I get why you don't want to pellet it just may be you best feeding option, just have to market the pellet under a specific brand. Yes I know one more headache. Another thought with the cotton seed and shells maybe just screening and rolling them in same speed rolling mill or crimper and mixing with wheat for flow would work.
  3. Normande

Normande New Member

Loc:
    SW New Hampshire
    Chickenman, hope you don't mind me bouncing ideas around I know they seem a little redundant sometimes
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The cost of Propane in the U.S varies greatly on region. Heck.. Sometimes within the same state it fluctuates more than $1 a gallon. We paid around $3 a gallon (when we burned it). And spent about $3,600-$3,800 a yr in heating cost.

My worst Winter was almost 5 ton (prior to installing wood stove). So pellets would have to go over $700 a ton to not be a viable option to me. I also see the whole process as a hobby (cleaning, hunting for fuel, watching the fire, making sure its running as efficient as possible, etc). So even if it was close to the same $$$? I would still burn pellets.

I installed a Pellet furnace and a Woodstove last season (Nov). The addition of that helped to cut down on my pellet consumption (wood stove). I burned 2.5 ton last season and about 3-3.5 cord of wood.

The furnace works almost to well. I only run it below 25° and then run our freestanding Quad upstairs, when its above 25°. I always run the Woodstove to help reduce pellet use, but when I run the furnace, is when I really benefit from the wood stove. I didn't hook up the cold air return on the pellet furnace for one reason. I can get it 90° in the basement with the wood.. Then when the furnace blower kicks on, it sucks that 90° air from the basement and distributes it through the duct work, to the bedrooms above. If I dont have a fire going in the woodstove, then it takes away from the efficiency of the pellet furnace. But with a Wood Fire going, it adds to the efficiency.

Here are a couple pics of my stoves (you showed me yours? ;) Dont take out of context)
    The Quad, then the Pellet furnace, the 17 yr old Englander 25-PDV, and the new Englander 10-CPM (set-up in shop now). 2011-10-27_19-57-07_44.jpg 2011-12-23_22-34-20_80.jpg US25-5670.jpg 2012-04-14_21-57-13_745.jpg
    ScotO likes this.
  5. chickenman

Loc:
    Currently we are having our crushed olive pits dried and cleaned at a commercial seed cleaning plant.
    This works well but is very expensive. We have been looking at the airflow dryers that the Chinese are making to dry sawdust. The principle looks pretty straight forward so we are trying some tests with some stuff lying around on the farm.

We have a 2hp dust extractor hooked up to a 40'x 4" aluminium irrigation pipe followed by 20' of tube with 2 right angles. At the open end we have a small lpg jet fire. The extractor fan sucks the hot air through the pipe and into an air box. We trickle the wet pits near the jet fire and it is sucked up through the pipe into the air box.

Considering the zero research we put into this thing we are very happy with the results so far after 1, 5minute run.
    THe issue we see is that the pits are sucked through too quick and do not spend enough time in the airstream. I think the problem is we are basically using a straight pipe. The Chinese units have bends and muffler shaped chambers which would retard the flow of the material. This will be our next thing to try.

Just a bit of fun to fill in the time while we wait for our next container of stoves. They were due 6 weeks ago but a massive wharf strike in Panama has stuffed up all shipping out of the US. The shippers are now saying next week so things are about to get nuts as we have a long list of frustrated buyers waiting for delivery.
  6. chickenman

Loc:
    Hey Normande,
    People over here reckoned I was nuts to import some crazy heater that runs on wheat. I always reckon that if you don't try and think outside the box you end up living in it like everyone else! Keep throwing up ideas. It like I tell stove owners here, you can try burning anything it can only not work.
    Great pix Dexta. THe heating requirement in the US is far greater than what is needed in Australia. THe power you have there would be enough to run an Australian hospital.
    Check out my sexy youtube video to show off the stove. I will add more once I can get my kids to film their daggy Dad again. I might even do one of our loopy dryer if we can get it to work. Here is the link, I hope it works.
  7. smoke show

smoke show Guest

Flame seems lazy. just sayin.
  8. chickenman

Loc:
    Yeah, that is the basic difference between a cornstove and a pellet stove. The combustion airflow in a cornstove is much lower than a pellet stove. The fire is designed to keep the waste in the pot to form a clinker rather than be turned to ash and be flicked out into the ash pan.

Wheat (or corn) is the perfect fuel for cornstove. Once you start mixing fuels (like we have done in the video) you are detuning the machine. We do this on purpose so that we can run the stove in warmer conditions without needing to turn it off. This is why the pits run better in pellet stoves because they burn to an ash and blow out like pellet ash. Having said that we do need to make a new base plate with smaller holes to drop into the pellet pot or else the pits fall through the liner.

We are waiting on a new Chinese test pellet stove due early August. Once we have that sorted I will post a video of it running on the straight pits.

We do have desperate pellet stove owners out here that try using wheat but it inevitably ends up with a solid lump in the firepot that won't come out.

None of these machines are perfect and they all have their own advantages. The cost of the fuel is the key as to the correct unit for the market. Obviously in the US pellet stoves are the go. Here it is wheat heaters (corn stoves). That is until I can perfect the pit fuel, then pellet stoves will become a viable option. Fuel and stove purchased from me of course!
    smoke show likes this.
  9. chickenman

Loc:
    Hi Guys,

I'm back!!!
    Here is a link to my new video showing a modified stove running straight pits

See what you reckon.

PS Has anyone got a Wiseway video yet?
    I'm really hangin out to see one in action.

90 degrees F. here today so you guys must be warmin up your stoves.

Cheers,
    Darron
    ScotO and DexterDay like this.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

No video from Wiseway.

That flame looks to be an average flame for burning pellets. My Quadrafire has a pretty violent burn. There is no way of manually slowing it down either. Has High, Med, and Low and with each step, the convection and combustion blower step up or down in speed..

Here is a video of my Quad burning pellets. No sound in this one. I have a couple others on my YouTube Channel with sound. One I took a couple days ago and you can hear how the Burn pot whistles when air comes through it. Quite a bit of air coming through the holes in the pot.

Your video was quite informative. Thanks for sharing. :)

11. Northwoodneil

Northwoodneil Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Land of Cheese
    Darron, just a thought on the dryer. A spiral airway would give you a longer drying time in the same lenght pipe. I'm thinking of an auger configuration like the ones used to fill grain elevators. The auger wouldn't need to turn just let the material being dryed spiral around it from one end to the other. It would be something like a minature corn dryer. Probably be a hollow shaft in the middle of the auger for your heat source. Just a thought. Welcome aboard, Neil
  12. chickenman

Loc:
    Thanks Guys.
    Yeah Dex the airflow is still less than a lot of pellet stoves but we don't like the roaring sound. Without the baffle plate she gets a real roar up and the temp rise by about 70 degrees F. So if you want the extra heat you have to put up with the noise. We don't need the heat so cut the noise back.

We think we have just about got the pit drying down pat. We had been using a commercial grain drying contractor which works fine but is way too expensive. We tried all sorts of airflow dryers, like you describe Neil, with both tubes and a vertical feed mixer. THe problems we encountered were that it was difficult to get a consistent performance and the heat energy required was very high due to atmospheric loss. Now we are using a hopper dryer and dehumidifier as used in the plastic injection moulding industry. This works by having the pits in a conical hopper with hot, dry, air being blown in at the bottom and sucked out at the top. The pits are added at the top and removed slowly at the bottom.

This works well and we can get down to very low even moisture content. It is not very fast, about 300lbs per hour but it can run continously and as we only are only getting started so our sales are low anyway. It does still use a lot of power, about 35kW, so we only run it at night on cheap power of 12cents /kWh. If the whole thing is a goer we will get a pellet burner (running on pits naturally) to provide the heat and stick it to the elec man!

Anyone have any news on the Wiseway, this thing is really intriguing me?
    Cheers,
    Darron.
  13. chickenman

Loc:
    Hi Guys,
    Long time no see....
    We are just ending an extremely mild winter. We are already seeing bushfires up North which does not bode well for summer.
    We continue educate the masses on the advantages of corn/pellet stoves. Sales have been disappointing this season as if has just been too hot for people to bother.
    We are still selling the SnowFlame but we are also selling a new model out of China. It was originally designed for pellets but that is no good for us as pellets are so expensive. We have done some mods and now she runs great on our local fuels. The Chinese came and visited, one guy came out for breakfast and said," I got up at 3am, pulled up a chair and sat in front of the fire for 1/2 an hour. I still can't believe you are burning wheat - we would go to prison for that!"

Here are some of our super professional videos;

I assume the videos are there, let me know...
    Also we are working on a new website for Australia complete with insightful slogan check it out, not the address as there is nothing there yet.

cheapheat logo.jpg
    Hope to hear from yall soon.
    Cheers,
    Darron.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Always love your videos.. Lots of good info and insight into different fuels.
  15. chickenman

Loc:
    Hi Dexta,
    Good to hear from you.
    We went all out on the video production this time and bought a $30 Hi Def video camera instead of using the phone.
    Hows the weather shaping up over there? Your last winter was pretty mild wasn't it?
    Curse this global warming - makes it hard to sell me stuff!
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yeah. The last 2 Winters have been very Mild. To say the least....

If it's gonna be cold? Might as well be freezing!! I like it ti he cold in the Winter and HOT in the house.

Congrats on the new line of stoves. Looks like a winner with the new control panel.
  17. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    North Central part of the US was very cold without having any warm spells(above freezing)January-March and a very cool beginning of the growing season. Now in a drought but very close to harvest of beans and corn with wheat being average but rust free and premium straw. If it can be fed through an auger I'll try it. Trying to get sugar beet pulp pellets to try.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

Very interesting, Keep us posted if you do try some.
  19. chickenman

Loc:
    Just seen the floods in the US, looks pretty nasty.
    I always find you get the worst of both worlds when you try to use pellets made from non wood products.
    THe problem is that wood pellets are generally just wood but feed pellets can have all sorts of weird chit in em. Never underestimate the ability of manufacturers to jam some cheap rubbish into a pellet to save money the fact that it won't burn isn't their problem.
    I have a lot of local councils coming to me saying that they want to pelletise their green waste, ie leaves, grass, bark, etc and sell it for pellet stoves coz pellets are nearly $1,000 per tonne retail. The idea is ridiculous, there is no energy in the pellets and it just makes everyone look silly.
    Wheat was very expensive here last year because of your drought. Prices seem to be easing here but will spike again if your yields are down. We have leased our poultry farm to one of the big 3 producers in Australia so we can concentrate full time on the stoves.
    I still like the idea of the Wiseway stove but I had seen some photos which suggested some durability issues which I am sure can be worked out with a bit of time so I can wait. Plus I think they are so busy in the US that they won't have time for us downunder.
    We are seeing big regulatory changes down here with the government effectively trying to ban combustion heaters by making the regs super strict. Wood heaters need to meets 2.5 grams particulate matter/ kilogram fuel burnt dropping to 1.5gm/kg in 5 years. Pellet stove need to meet 1.0gm/kg. This is very tough. many stoves have failed, we should be okay but we need to control exhaust volume and speed very accurately. So I am going from chook farmer to laboratory technician. It is all fun.
  20. chickenman

Loc:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.