1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdbrown

birdbrown New Member

Loc:
    North Pole, Alaska
    Just wondering if any of you out there have run into a prolbem with your eyes. I am not a person that normally has an allergy prolbem, however since firing up the new pellet stove I have had trouble with my eyes. Wondering if it is just the dry air or actually the pellets themselves. ????Susan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. acowherd

acowherd Member

Loc:
    MID Missouri
    No problems here. But it could be dry air.
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

I'd try a few drops of Murine, or Clear Eyes in the morning and at night, and see if that helps the problem. If so, you probably need to put a humidifier in the house.

If it continues, you may be allergic to the dust. Is it worse right after filling the stove?
  4. sydney1963

sydney1963 New Member

Loc:
    Windham Maine
    My eyes get dry and itchy when the stove is running, I think because of dryness not pellets or pellet dust.
  5. JBlank912

JBlank912 New Member

Loc:
    NW NJ
    My wife says she finds her eyes burn a little. Also dryer then they were.
  6. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    No problems here but maybe the smell will disappear after the stove breaks in?
  7. birdbrown

birdbrown New Member

Loc:
    North Pole, Alaska
    Thanks for the responses. I went to boston last week and did not have any trouble with my eyes but 12 hours after I returned they were blown out all over again. Wondering if the hardwood is a wood I have not been exposed to in 20 + years. Hmmm I do use a tear replacement every few hours. I also notice that I seem to sit right at the end of the blower area. May have to change my ways. Just kinda crappy that I look wiped out all the time now.
  8. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    I have been personaly handling 100's of tons every year for 19 seasons
    last year I started to become Allergic to the pine dust in pellets. It is hell geting over 40
    I have to take a clariton Every day now or my eye hurt and swell up.
    I know for a fact it is the pellet DUST because if dont touch a bag of pellet for a few days my eyes are fine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.