Burning eyes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

birdbrown

Oct 18, 2008
North Pole, Alaska
Just wondering if any of you out there have run into a prolbem with your eyes. I am not a person that normally has an allergy prolbem, however since firing up the new pellet stove I have had trouble with my eyes. Wondering if it is just the dry air or actually the pellets themselves. ????Susan

No problems here. But it could be dry air.

I'd try a few drops of Murine, or Clear Eyes in the morning and at night, and see if that helps the problem. If so, you probably need to put a humidifier in the house.

If it continues, you may be allergic to the dust. Is it worse right after filling the stove?

My eyes get dry and itchy when the stove is running, I think because of dryness not pellets or pellet dust.

My wife says she finds her eyes burn a little. Also dryer then they were.

No problems here but maybe the smell will disappear after the stove breaks in?

Thanks for the responses. I went to boston last week and did not have any trouble with my eyes but 12 hours after I returned they were blown out all over again. Wondering if the hardwood is a wood I have not been exposed to in 20 + years. Hmmm I do use a tear replacement every few hours. I also notice that I seem to sit right at the end of the blower area. May have to change my ways. Just kinda crappy that I look wiped out all the time now.

I have been personaly handling 100's of tons every year for 19 seasons
last year I started to become Allergic to the pine dust in pellets. It is hell geting over 40
I have to take a clariton Every day now or my eye hurt and swell up.
I know for a fact it is the pellet DUST because if dont touch a bag of pellet for a few days my eyes are fine

Status
Not open for further replies.