burning hardwood flooring scraps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I have a jotul 602 that I am going to use for the first time this winter and I want to know is it safe to burn large amounts of hardwood flooring scraps? I can get 50-60lbs of scraps a day I know the moisture content is between 6% and 10%.

I'm assuming unfinished? If so, shouldn't be a problem. Just don't stuff the stove with it.

That's pretty dry and will probably overfire if you fill her up. Try a little at a time or mixing it with cordwood.

Hardwood flooring scraps are great, but you will need to tightly control the burn on the Jotul. We use the scraps to start the fire and then mix with large splits to slow the fire down.

depending on the scrap size, couldn't you pack it so tight that it would be almost like one large chunk of wood? Heck, that's part of the theory behind biobricks.

Warren said:
depending on the scrap size, couldn't you pack it so tight that it would be almost like one large chunk of wood? Heck, that's part of the theory behind biobricks.

And Jotul(US) does not recommend Bio-Bricks (There's a thread in here that goes into the discussion and how over in Europe it is OK as long as you don't stuff the box).

It might be a bit easier to do with top down burning in a steel stove where the firebox is flat and square. Give it a try. I thought of wiring them together in bundles, but because they are cut off scraps, they are very random lengths. So I just use them for smaller, hot fires and kindling. They're great for waking up a pokey fire as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.