Burning Hay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! At first I thought this was going to be a joke or some story about how someone burnt their house down by stuffing the stove full of hay.

After reading the article I'd give it a shot if the price was right. Since he states that it has less btu's than compressed logs than it would need to be priced significantly lower. I'd also be concerned about the "binders" he needs to use to provide proper adhesion. Compressed logs rely on the natural lignin inside the wood that is released under the immense pressure. Good story though.

BAsed on the stories i have heard here lately i dont think anyone with any sense will be burning hay this year. There is hay being stolen in this area this year by multiple folks in an assumed hay stealing ring. I could not beleive it when we were talking about it here the other day after hearing how they caught one guy on the radio news. I said why would someone risk it to steal a $20 round bale of "cow hay"?? They said that the news is reporting due to the drought this yr in the midwest that they are trucking hay in from the south and other places and its going for $150/ton?? (pretty sure they said ton and not round bale) Who sells hay by the ton anyway, but thats close to $50round bale!! I guess thats cow hay? Still dont see how with fuel it would pay to truck it to the west from here even if the hay was free??

They way they caught the guy was by putting a GPS into the bales and then they followed them when moved.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
BAsed on the stories i have heard here lately i dont think anyone with any sense will be burning hay this year. There is hay being stolen in this area this year by multiple folks in an assumed hay stealing ring. I could not beleive it when we were talking about it here the other day after hearing how they caught one guy on the radio news. I said why would someone risk it to steal a $20 round bale of "cow hay"?? They said that the news is reporting due to the drought this yr in the midwest that they are trucking hay in from the south and other places and its going for $150/ton?? (pretty sure they said ton and not round bale) Who sells hay by the ton anyway, but thats close to $50round bale!! I guess thats cow hay? Still dont see how with fuel it would pay to truck it to the west from here even if the hay was free??

They way they caught the guy was by putting a GPS into the bales and then they followed them when moved.
People's greed never ceases to amaze me. But the story is about using spoiled hay, the wet nasty stuff that is not saleable.

I don't know of others but whenever we burned hay, it stinks. Why would this new method of putting it up also stink?

Clemsonfor also hit on a biggie. In our area there just was not much hay this year and that goes for the entire Midwest and other areas. I saw an ad yesterday for $4 for the small bales and have heard of the big round bales going for $100 or more! That is some very expensive hay! No wonder folks are stealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.