Burning Hemlock

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
I have a number of dead hemlocks in the yard. One massive one (36 inches diameter) was dropped by Duke Power. Is it any good for burning? I already have about 5 - 6 cords of oak, maple, yellow birch, and cherry. Is it worth taking the time to cut it and split it to burn in the woodstove?

It'd be a good shoulder season wood, I've burned it before as well. But not very good for overnight fires or long burns. One nice thing about hemlock (being a conifer) is that it DOESN'T have as much resins in it as say a white pine or spruce.....which I think is a good thing. one of the worst things about processing pines is the pitch in them. Hemlock lacks a lot of that. Not to mention, you said these trees are dead, so once you get them C/S/S'd they should season pretty quick...

I have a number of dead hemlocks in the yard. One massive one (36 inches diameter) was dropped by Duke Power. Is it any good for burning? I already have about 5 - 6 cords of oak, maple, yellow birch, and cherry. Is it worth taking the time to cut it and split it to burn in the woodstove?
We always have mother nature putting some Hemlock down so we mill some, the rest we burn during the shoulder season like S.O. said in his post.

We have about two cord of White Pine & Hemlock ready for this shoulder season, seasoned two years.

Reactions: ScotO
hmm theres some on CL but wasn't sure if it was worth it? How long does it take to season?

They are already in your yard so you may as well put them to good use. Cut them and burn them.

Status
Not open for further replies.