Burning Hurricane wood....Hurricane Isabell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Last night I came in from filling the wood bins and told the family that we were burning wood that came from Hurricane Issabell in 2003. I can even remember splitting the particular pieces we burned last night and this morning. They were from an enormous oak tree and were knotty and very difficult The family was unimpressed.

Every stick we have burned this winter was from a torndo spawned by Hurricane Ivan that touched down in our front yard. Every stick we burn for the next five years will be too.

DavidV said:
Last night I came in from filling the wood bins and told the family that we were burning wood that came from Hurricane Issabell in 2003. I can even remember splitting the particular pieces we burned last night and this morning. They were from an enormous oak tree and were knotty and very difficult The family was unimpressed.

Ingrates ;-)

Ahhh, Isabell firewood. I carried 36 inch logs of 12 and 14 inch diameter Isabell oak trees up a 100' steep embankment, on my shoulder, and had flashbacks to my days in the infantry. Why the hell did they call it light infantry? Nothing light about it.

Those logs dried amazing quick once split and I burned some this weekend too. Wish I had a winch.

BrotherBart said:
Every stick we have burned this winter was from a tornado spawned by Hurricane Ivan that touched down in our front yard. Every stick we burn for the next five years will be too.

I'd ask for a photo of the downed trees and your property, but previous BrotherBart snapshots give me pause... :)

Mo Heat said:
BrotherBart said:
Every stick we have burned this winter was from a tornado spawned by Hurricane Ivan that touched down in our front yard. Every stick we burn for the next five years will be too.

I'd ask for a photo of the downed trees and your property, but previous BrotherBart snapshots give me pause... :)

Ahem.

Here is a few of them. I quit counting at thirty six trees and went back to the house to sit and stare at the wall.

Three and a half acres of destruction.

Attachments

• trees1.jpg
    trees1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 233
  • trees4.jpg
    trees4.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 243
wahoowad said:
Ahhh, Isabell firewood. I carried 36 inch logs of 12 and 14 inch diameter Isabell oak trees up a 100' steep embankment, on my shoulder, and had flashbacks to my days in the infantry. Why the hell did they call it light infantry? Nothing light about it.

Those logs dried amazing quick once split and I burned some this weekend too. Wish I had a winch.

I had one but I divorced her....she was never much help at doing manual labor anyway. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.