Burning in paint job....out in driveway (Pics)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
11 degrees last night here in MI. I used the 4 ft left over section of my liner and my stove connector to make a short chimney. I put the bullet heater up to the firebox to warm the liner to get a little better draw. Burned great...took a little to get going. Glad i burned it in outside the paint fumes were pretty noticiable. Had thought bout getting the marshmellows out but a little cold out.

Attachments

• outside burn.jpg
    outside burn.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 698
  • outside burn2.jpg
    outside burn2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 719
  • outside burn3.jpg
    outside burn3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 678
you might be a redneck if.......... ;-)

j/k

pen

The paint looks like the color I used (stove birght mojave red). I've noticed with that paint that when the stove is cool the color looks like the red it is supposed to be. When the stove reaches about 450 on the surface it will change to a kind of purplish color. Still red, but has a deep purple tint to it. Freaked me out the first time because I didn't think the stove would go back to the red color, but it does. I think it's kind of cool now. I use it to judge how good the stove is burning. Sometimes one side will be the purplish color and the other side is red. I know then that I've got to much air coming in so I throttle down the damper to let the stove get regulated inside.

My avatar shows the purplish color I'm talking about.

And I thought I waited till the last minute to get the stove installed! I feel better now. I do wish I had broken in the stove outside though, that paint burning in does get the house smokey. We had to open the window for a bit to get the "cloud" out. But it only lasted for one evening. Nice looking stove BTW.

How long did you have to burn it for to get all the paint / residue burnt off??

First time I've seen a stove painted "overfire red". Gonna be hard to tell when that puppy is too hot without a thermometer. :)

Wish I'd have thought of that before i fired up the new stove with new pipe.
Burned mine hot, opened all the doors & windows, smoked almost the whole house, odor lasted a few days.
VERY GOOD IDEA
Should be part of any new install.

Status
Not open for further replies.