Burning in warm/rainy weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russb

Jan 7, 2014
NJ
It's about 40 here, and rainy. Pressure isn't too high or low, closest weather station has it at 30.07 in.

The fire is burning okay with the primary air fully open, but while I usually cruise at around 450-550 stovetop temp., it's hanging at or just below 400 today. This was a small startup load, I'm almost ready to reload, and I'll try a full load to see if that works better. I have not stood out in the rain to observe whether there are visible chimney emissions yet today.

I have an insulated liner and a 25' chimney, but I do have two 90 degree bends (the horizontal run is <2 ft.).

So far this year I have observed that my wood is fairly dry (no sizzling, stacked about a year ago in full sun and wind), my draft is not as good as I thought it would be (I always have the air open at least 1/8-1/4 of the way, and on warm days sometimes I can't close the primary much, if at all).

I guess observing the chimney during the next cycle is probably the most important thing I can do to decide whether it's worth burning today. Does anybody just throw in the towel and opt not to burn if it's too warm outside, due to improper draft?

Another point. I can turn down the air and the fire won't go out, but the stovetop temps were so low I didn't want to do that. I put in three fairly small splits on the bottom of my startup fire, 2-3 hours ago, and I'm at around 325 stovetop right now with too many coals for a reload just yet. Almost ready though.

I just open up a door or window but I am also from jersey and burning right now. A bit too warm in the house but walk out side and not nice out at all

No, the house isn't too warm (built in 1800's, NO insulation--yet). Quite the opposite. It's the fire that isn't cooperating as it usually does.

Edited to add: I wish I could get our place "too warm".

Question? Why would there be To many coals to reload? I am novice at wood burning, but ninjas under the impression that if you have a good bed of coals is the time to re load your fuel to easily get the stove temps easily back up to cruising temps. Is this wrong?

I think there's a sweet spot when it comes to how hot and how big the coal bed is. You rake the coals to the front of the stove, where they get the front of the load ignited easily, without the whole load taking off at once, burning really hot and getting out of control. I reload around 300 most times (that's generally when my coal bed is burned down enough but will easily reignite the new load of wood), and in fact, I just reloaded with a full load, and it seems to be getting up to temp. Got over 400 easily, I'll see if it keeps going. It may be that the stove just really likes a full load.

When we had colder weather I was more brazen about reloading at higher temps and more/larger coals, but today I want my cycles to be as long as possible, since we don't need max heat.

Well, chalk it up to a learning experience. With a full load the fire is roaring, and I've started turning down the air now that the stovetop is over 500. Nothing to see here...

That's great news. Thanks for reply !

Reloading on less coals, more coals, still burning state is dependent upon your stove, weather, draft and also how much heat you need. With our old VC, I usually reload when the fire is 3/4 down and well before the coaling stage. I need all the heat I can get. However, I am well aware of the weather outside. A few days ago with sub hurricane winds in our area (62 mph) I let things burn down much more than usual as the risk of overdrafting was a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.