Burning issues burning up w/hearth.com users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrodsky

Jan 19, 2006
Millbrook, NY
The last 22 threads on the burrning issues forum have the last post from various hearth.com users re-educating this bunch on the value of wood. And the vast majority of these posts are actually very well thought out.

Good job team! :lol:

-Colin

Amazing, considering the well-documented tendency of wood burners to abuse drugs.

Seriously, I would like to add my congratulations to everyone involved in a very constructive (two-way) educational effort.

I went, I saw, I just can't bring myself to even deal with the closed mindedness over there. These people rely on statistics that anyone makes up.
An argument can have ten billion statistics on either side to prove that sides point. Instead of educating themselves and their plight should be more EPA approved wood burning, they just lump it all together and want a ban. Not too bright IMHO, this war will never be one, but if they went about it the right way, they could make some ground to cleaner burning appliances. I just can't stomach them without getting real Neanderthal like. Neanderthal wants to smack a few heads around reading all that propaganda.

Non profit, charitable organization. Thats says it all there. Most, not all, but most of them have a President, etc that lives large on the " non profit" org.
Bet the owner is going on several nice vacations a year, living in a big house & driving an expensive car, on the back of the non profit org. And not paying taxes to boot.

Unbelievable stuff. Its a real soap box for the uninformed over there! I'm not knocking clean air, but they have to get the all the facts right and clean up the air.

LMAO "Have you lived in India??? I have. They're burning cowshit. That is the biofuel that is being described. And they are poor beyond your belief. If you want to make a difference, come up with a way to burn dung cheaply and cleanly. That might actually make a difference." BeGreen

DriftWood said:
"Have you lived in India??? I have. They're burning cowshit. That is the biofuel that is being described. And they are poor beyond your belief. If you want to make a difference, come up with a way to burn dung cheaply and cleanly. That might actually make a difference." BeGreen

I've been meaning to get together with Corie to create the first dog poop stove. I also need consult with NWFuels on creating a compressed dog poop log maker. In this way all of us dog owners will be able to drastically reduce our dependence on wood fuel. Spike will be contracted out to fabricate the new dog poop stove. Eventually I'd even like to bring a pellet form to the market so that all the pellet heads can reap the benefits of dog poop. My role of course, will be to create a quasi non-profit organization promoting the benefits of recycled dog excrement as a biofuel. McMansion and BMW to follow in short order. Any investors out there want to get in on the ground floor?

-Kevin

DriftWood said:
Unbelievable stuff. Its a real soap box for the uninformed over there! I'm not knocking clean air, but they have to get the all the facts right and clean up the air.

LMAO "Have you lived in India??? I have. They're burning cowchit. That is the biofuel that is being described. And they are poor beyond your belief. If you want to make a difference, come up with a way to burn dung cheaply and cleanly. That might actually make a difference." BeGreen

http://burningissues.org/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30

They did seem to have a problem with discerning one biofuel from another. So when they started quoting and India study against the US environment, I had to speak up. If one of these burning issues folk spent a day in Delhi in the winter, they would have had a seizure. Their uncomfortable zone starts where our red alert zone ends. Their dangerous zone is beyond most American's comprehension. We have no equivalent.

Time to educate these people. Their quoting pollutants to mice from uncertified stoves for their argument base, at GPH amounts off the charts

I surprised no one mentioned that wood stoves have broken the 1 GPH plateau .7
Ask them how many particulates survive the secondary mini gasification process of 1700 degrees. Inform that burning bio bricks in this very stove further reduces particulates and is environmentally friendly. Tell them there exist a super Cat combustor that will further reduce the .7 GPH. I would do it personally, but get hammered with typo’s and Grammatik structure, which most my post lack. I do not feel I write well enough, to win intellectual wars

Elk, you are probably the most educated of all our members on the new technology, we need you over there to set the record straght.
Get the google tool bar and use spell check.
I type fairly fast but with lots of errors, partly due to BEEG fingers. I use spell check all the time and if anyone drops the grammar hammer on you hit them back with this.

Attachments

• grammar-nazi.jpg
    grammar-nazi.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 781
I can't even begin to try to talk to those morons. To say that wood smoke soot is a major contributor to global warming. Sweet Jesus. You will never be able to reason with them. They are the same ones who want to legislate what I am allowed to eat and want to sue the companies who sell me baked goods because I have become a fata#%. This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish there was something to the global warming myth. at least these idiots would die off within the first year or so of the cataclysm.

elkimmeg said:
Time to educate these people. Their quoting pollutants to mice from uncertified stoves for their argument base, at GPH amounts off the charts

I surprised no one mentioned that wood stoves have broken the 1 GPH plateau .7
Ask them how many particulates survive the secondary mini gasification process of 1700 degrees. Inform that burning bio bricks in this very stove further reduces particulates and is environmentally friendly. Tell them there exist a super Cat combustor that will further reduce the .7 GPH. I would do it personally, but get hammered with typo’s and Grammatik structure, which most my post lack. I do not feel I write well enough, to win intellectual wars

You write it.. I'll edit it and post it. team effort my friend!!

Their quoting pollutants to mice from uncertified stoves for their argument base, at GPH amounts off the charts Exposing to 300 GPH is not sciencetific, not indicative of modern stoves the emit, .7 GPH Quoting from an 1986 study? Do you think technology has advance a bit? Are you typing on a 8086 processor computer. Have you heard of Auto Cad,where 3 d viewing of combustions chambers are rendered? Do you know anything about the horizontal burn process? Where the smoke path is directed down across the hot bed of coals where smoke particulates are being burned off, being super heated and channeled into a secondary combustion chamber Fresh super heated air is also introduced into the chamber resulting is a super hot gasification combustion. Temperatures reach 1700 degrees burning just about any residual particulates. That’s is how the 1 GPH barrier has been broken. I challenge you to plug that statistic into you formulas Thousands of these stoves equipped with this technology are residing in homes today

I find you arguments are flawed. At one point you are quoting from the EPA and other times you are discrediting the EPA. I have witnessed the testing procedures I have seen the particulates collected in the filters All stoves are tested for particulate matter and certified by the EPA.
I take this group to be ecologically responsible but again I’m viewing mixed messages. Some here are suggesting portable eclectic heater alternatives. Recently 8 people died in a NY fire caused by electric heater. Before one plugs one or those units in better check the amperage draw and the current draw on the circuit. It behooves me you would make that suggestion. Ever experience black outs brown outs. Our grid is over taxed to begin with, Yet you suggest adding to that condition? Never mind that 60% of our electricity comes from fossil fuel and much of that is coal ,low grade sulfur laden coal to boot but that’s ok?

Many here suggest oil burning for heat. Do we have to rehash the real cost of oil?
Here is a little tid bit, you never factored in the modern oil burners test to be in the low 80’s efficiencies. Most test are done when they are first installed. Before the firing head gets gunked up and the flue become carbonized. That initial testing is the only time that burner runs that efficient from there performance drops off, I know I inspect them every day. Did you know, that ,7 GPH stove has obtained 82,5% efficiencies, burning cleaner the t average oil burner. I find it ironic you promote a technology that is not renewable that burns less efficient.

The next fuel alternative you suggest is gas. Again lets not rehash the real cost of imported gas from the Middle East. For the uninformed gas lines do not service every homes. You mention medical cost of smoke what about factoring the cost of gas explosions.

We agree renewable alternatives are needed. Dependency upon fossil fuel is not working.
Wind solar geothermal and tidal are viable alternatives for some, economically beyond most indivual home owners, You make very little mention of conserving the energy we produce, better windows more insulation better draft prevention buttoning up our homes.

A complete ban on burning is not going to happen. You have no argument for the use of wood heat during power outages. Many of you argument are flawed and can easily invalidated. Referencing you own prior a statement is unscientific. As are the words can, might, may, or seems.

I’m asking you are you willing to support cleaner responsible burning? Supporting technology such as I described. These modern stoves are not your old polluting beasts of yesteryear. I mean we ate talking about .7 GPH this is not some small manufacturer but the largest one in North America employing the new everburn technology.
Are you willing to use this site to educate responsible burning. Are you willing to promote swap out programs. Are you willing to promote continued research for cleaner burning? You are not winning the battle 500,000 more stoves were sold this year on top of 500,00 last year. People are still going to burn them. Life is full of compromises better to direct them and improve them than stand by helpless to do any thing constructive about it. One must take baby steps before giant ones I asking you to support clean responsible burning promote replacing older stoves with super efficient new ones

Ps I do not think they will take the bait nor do I think they will support anything do do with burning and smoke No I'm not selling out. Just measuring their ingorance
this needs editing there are still a few errors I forgot to incorperate how clean the burning of bio bricks is claimed to be or other processed logs making them a viable alternative in more urban areas

elkimmeg said:
The next fuel alternative you suggest is gas. Again lets not rehash the real cost of imported gas from the Middle East. For the uninformed gas lines do not service every homes. You mention medical cost of smoke what about factoring the cost of gas explosions.

Good points Elk. There is no mention of conservation that I've found there, they could certainly use a more positive and constructive message.

FWIW point of clarification - 84% of domestic natural gas used currently is produced in the US. Of the remaining 16% imported gas, 95% is from Canada. LNG is still a very small import, but growing at 15% a yr. So far, the majority of it so far does not come from the middle east.

http://www.naturalgas.org/business/analysis.asp#domesticng

Kevin,
You could collect rabbit poop for the pellet stove. Chicken poop, too, for that matter.

You could also fashion the dog poop into cutesy shapes and charge a premium for them. Perhaps you can allow a starving artist to mold some in the likness of politicians. Might delight a few folks to throw those on the fire ;-)

You could offer different lines, like the Paris-Martha celebrity line, the politician line already mentioned, and there can be other themes, like holiday poop.

The possibilities are endless, just endless i say!

megan

I've been meaning to get together with Corie to create the first dog poop stove. I also need consult with NWFuels on creating a compressed dog poop log maker. In this way all of us dog owners will be able to drastically reduce our dependence on wood fuel. Spike will be contracted out to fabricate the new dog poop stove. Eventually I'd even like to bring a pellet form to the market so that all the pellet heads can reap the benefits of dog poop. My role of course, will be to create a quasi non-profit organization promoting the benefits of recycled dog excrement as a biofuel. McMansion and BMW to follow in short order. Any investors out there want to get in on the ground floor?

-Kevin

LOL
The candy asses couldnt take it and are now enforcing new "rules"

I love the rules and how they only will be enforced upon anyone having a view that isnt on their side of the fence.

I particularly like where s/he refers to his/her website a a "little bastion of sanity" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

but then again.... in the "warning" s/he refers to her/himself as GOD, so we better be careful....

babalu87 said:
LOL

I love the rules and how they only will be enforced upon anyone having a view that isnt on their side of the fence.

I told you they consider you guys trolls.

Keep it polite and constructive and I think they'll let you play in their sandbox.

I edited elk's message. There were a few times where i guessed what was intended but i noted that by putting a comment in brackets like this [ ].

It sounds like some of the folks doing the most complaining about wood burning have never had a power outage in the winter. If they wish to experience sitting in a house that has lost its heat because the electricity cut out, and it's below freezing, good on them. I have enough character and don't need to build more through an experience like that!

here's the edited copy.
megan

************************************************************************************************

They’re quoting pollutants to mice from uncertified stoves for their argument base, at GPH amounts off the charts Exposing to 300 GPH is not scientific, not indicative of modern stoves they emit, .7 GPH. Quoting from an 1986 study? Do you think technology has advanced a bit? Are you typing on an 8086 processor computer? Have you heard of Auto Cad, where 3-D viewing of combustions chambers are rendered? Do you know anything about the horizontal burn process? Where the smoke path is directed down across the hot bed of coals where smoke particulates are being burned off, being super heated and channeled into a secondary combustion chamber? Fresh super heated air is also introduced into the chamber resulting in a super hot gasification combustion. Temperatures reach 1700 degrees burning just about any residual particulates. That is how the 1 GPH barrier has been broken. I challenge you to plug that statistic into your formulas. Thousands of these stoves equipped with this technology are residing in homes today.

I find your arguments are flawed. At one point you are quoting from the EPA and other times you are discrediting the EPA. I have witnessed the testing procedures; I have seen the particulates collected in the filters. All stoves are tested for particulate matter and certified by the EPA.

I take this group to be ecologically responsible but again I’m viewing mixed messages. Some here are suggesting portable electric [you put ‘electic’ but I thought that a typo] heater alternatives. Recently 8 people died in a NY fire caused by an electric heater. Before one plugs one of those units in better check the amperage draw and the current draw on the circuit. It surprises me you would make that suggestion. Ever experience black outs, brown outs? Our grid is overtaxed to begin with, yet you suggest adding to that condition? Never mind that 60% of our electricity comes from fossil fuel and much of that is coal, low-grade, sulfur-laden coal to boot but that’s ok?

Many here suggest oil burning for heat. Do we have to rehash the real cost of oil?
Here is a little tidbit, you never factored in the modern oil burners test to be in the low 80’s efficiencies. Most tests are done when they are first installed. Before the firing head gets gunked up and the flue become carbonized. That initial testing is the only time that burner runs that efficient; from there performance drops off. I know—I inspect them every day. Did you know, that .7 GPH stove has obtained 82.5% efficiencies, burning cleaner than the average oil burner? I find it ironic you promote a technology that is not renewable that burns less efficiently.

The next fuel alternative you suggest is gas. Again, let’s not rehash the real cost of imported gas from the Middle East. For the uninformed gas lines do not service every home. You mention medical cost of smoke what about factoring the cost of gas explosions?

We agree renewable alternatives are needed. Dependency upon fossil fuel is not working.
Wind, solar, geothermal, and tidal are viable alternatives for some, economically beyond most individual home owners. You make very little mention of conserving the energy we produce: better windows, more insulation, better draft prevention, buttoning up our homes.

A complete ban on burning is not going to happen. You have no argument for the use of wood heat during power outages. Many of you arguments are flawed and can be easily invalidated. Referencing your own prior statement is unscientific as are the words can, might, may, or seems.

I’m asking you, are you willing to support cleaner responsible burning? Supporting technology such as I described? These modern stoves are not your old polluting beasts of yesteryear. I mean we are talking about .7 GPH this is not some small manufacturer but the largest one in North America employing the new everburn technology.

Are you willing to use this site to educate responsible burning? Are you willing to promote swap out programs? Are you willing to promote continued research for cleaner burning? You are not winning the battle; 500,000 more stoves were sold this year on top of 500,000 [or should this be 50,000? You typed 500,00] last year. People are still going to burn them. Life is full of compromises. Better to direct them and improve them than to stand by helplessly, unable to do anything constructive about it. One must take baby steps before giant ones. I am asking you to support clean, responsible burning and to promote replacing older stoves with super efficient new ones.

PS I do not think they will take the bait nor do I think they will support anything to do with burning and smoke. No I’m not selling out. Just measuring their ignorance.

Eric Johnson said:
babalu87 said:
LOL

I told you they consider you guys trolls.

I plead guilty, I responded to babalu's post in an insensitive and inconsiderate manner, I thought their ridiculous comments were equally tasteless and inconsiderate in other threads. But, I'm not GOD. See this thread:

http://burningissues.org/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=348

I'm wondering what my avatar of shame will be. A cloud of smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.