Burning Jotul F600 w/Screen, Smokey ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

First post on the forum....be gentle.. ;)

I have had a Jotul F600 since 2003 when I bought it new. It it my house's primary source of heat and I've been very happy with it with one minor exception. I bought the snap-in screen for it and I've tried it a couple times early in the season (like now) when I don't need crazy heat from the stove and would just like to enjoy a good fire. However, the stove seems to smoke when I use the screen....not visibly, I can't see smoke, but the odor in the house is strong.

Anybody have an hints and/or recommendations on burning the stove with the screen ?

Thanks,

J.

You have a lot more experience than me, but I tried my stove with the screen when it was warm outside. It didn't smoke, but my impression was the draft was barely enough to keep the combustion products in the stove. My thought for mine was to wait for cold weather, get everything hot as blazes and then open the doors and use the screen. We will see.

Jay Shelton in his "Solid Fuels Encyclopedia" said a fireplace needed about 50 cfm per square foot of opening to keep smoke from the house. That is a lot. I imagine stove fireplaces are different, but don't know.

Maybe try using the screen only during the later part of the burn, when there is less smoke?

Welcome Joe, draft can be a lot weaker in mild weather, especially if the flue is short. Have you tried opening a nearby window a little bit to see if that would help? How tall is the entire flue from stove to cap?

I'm thinking along the same line as others . . . when you want a smaller fire during the Fall and Spring . . . is the time when draft often is the most fickle for many folks . . . you could try oening a nearby window like BeGreen suggested.

Thanks guys !

The stove is hooked to the ceramic flue by about 5' of stove pipe. The chimney is approx. 25' from flue to cap.

I understand about the draw being weaker in warmer weather....so you say I should open a window and/or open the side stove door....or both ?
The idea is to allow more air going into the stove ? Just trying to understand the theory here... :)

I will try that....temps are supposed to dip here in CT later this week. Looking forward to a nice fire. :D

Welcome to the forum Joe.

Any window in the stove room should be okay to open for additional draft. Also, make sure no exhaust fans are running and the same for the dryer. Those will steal the draft from the stove.

If you can get the chimney to warm up first, it may help with the draft. Get a decent fire started with the door closed before opening the door and using the screen. Or wait for the outdoor temps to drop a little. Ten degrees cooler can make a nice difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.