Burning Kiln Dried

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
I've posted before about getting 3 years ahead. At this point I've got the wood (7 cords CSS and at least one in the round) but now it's a waiting game till I have good supplies on a yearly basis. I went into this year with just about a cord of dry wood which in not enough especially as cold as it's been so I have to ration.

I'm not going back to burning marginal wood like I did year one (1.5 yr CSS locust), I don't want to break into next years stuff and I have not been too impressed with the pressed wood I can get around here so I bit the bullet and bought 1/4 cord of kiln dried wood.

It's a mix of beech, birch and maple and came all bagged up. It is nice stuff in the sense that there's no bugs and less messy than the stuff I process. Used one small piece while getting the fire going this am. Threw a larger split in with an established fire of oak and maple and it lit off quickly and is burning nicely. I plan to mix it to extend the rest of my mostly oak but also still have some cherry and a little locust.

Kinda tough to have to buy wood when I'm sitting on a fair amount of hardwood especially since for what I paid I could have gotten a full cord of "seasoned" wood. But as I said I ain't going back to struggling with wet wood and the money is better spent on this than on oil.

Attachments

• kiln dried (3).JPG
    kiln dried (3).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 127
  • kiln dried (2).JPG
    kiln dried (2).JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 126
  • kiln dried.JPG
    kiln dried.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 133
Could you get a hold of any non-treated dimensional lumber ( pallets, cut ends, etc)? That will help stretch it even more. The trucking industry is chock full of 4 x 4 hard wood rough cut pieces that they use to haul materials with. That would be the ideal.

Could you get a hold of any non-treated dimensional lumber ( pallets, cut ends, etc)? That will help stretch it even more. The trucking industry is chock full of 4 x 4 hard wood rough cut pieces that they use to haul materials with. That would be the ideal.

Thanks for the reply Sinngetreu. If I had to I would. I've gotten pallets in the past but at this point in time its not worth it to me. I enjoy being outside, splitting and working with the tools but cutting up pallets isn't something I want to do any more.

For what I spent on the wood I would've gotten about 50g of oil. In this weather that's a week of oil heat in my house this time of year. The kiln dried plus what I have left should keep me going so it's worth it even if it does bug me.

If I ever found a place throwing out or even selling cut ends for the right price I'd jump on it since I'm probably 1/2 cord shy for next season too but have not seen anything like that around. In the 2015/16 season I will finally have more 3 yr CSS oak/locust/maple etc than I can burn in a season. After that, as long as I replenish my supply there will be no more rationing at last ::-).

I think its a worthwhile investment when you get caught short. Its an important safety issue to keep stove temps up. A chimney fire can cancel out any savings or shortcuts.
In the spring I have been forced to burn wood cut in the previous fall when I burned thru more dry wood than estimated.
And cutting up pallets sucks dead moose heads.
That is a project unworthy of my time.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I think its a worthwhile investment when you get caught short. Its an important safety issue to keep stove temps up. A chimney fire can cancel out any savings or shortcuts.
In the spring I have been forced to burn wood cut in the previous fall when I burned thru more dry wood than estimated.
And cutting up pallets sucks dead moose heads.
That is a project unworthy of my time.

LOL!

I could've broken into next years wood which is mostly oak that was CSS in Nov 2011 so there's a good chance it's ready but that just sets me back further next year. My idea is that as a part time burner (nights wkends) I will use 2 cord a season so I want to have 8 cord on hand so I have a cushion. Like I said in 2015 I'm into 3 yr wood, looking forward to that. Just gotta stay the course-

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of pallets either. Last resort maybe, but I too have avoided cutting any this year.
We have a crate maker in town that has bins of cut pieces outside for anyone to take for free. Right about now they use their scrap for heating their shop, but in the summer its game on. I try to stock up as much as possible.
I'll be into three year wood in about three years, so I'll be using this a lot before then.

Well, you appear to be doing things well and your future years will be great!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of pallets either. Last resort maybe, but I too have avoided cutting any this year.
We have a crate maker in town that has bins of cut pieces outside for anyone to take for free. Right about now they use their scrap for heating their shop, but in the summer its game on. I try to stock up as much as possible.
I'll be into three year wood in about three years, so I'll be using this a lot before then.

I hear you. I'm burning 2 yr wood now, will be burning 2.5 yr wood next year.

Sounds like you have a nice source for dry cutoffs. Get all you can. I've also been getting any quick seasoning wood I can find like cedar and pine. Managed a decent scrounge of cedar last year. Fast seasoning and was good early in the season. Still have some.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I hear you. I'm burning 2 yr wood now, will be burning 2.5 yr wood next year.

Sounds like you have a nice source for dry cutoffs. Get all you can. I've also been getting any quick seasoning wood I can find like cedar and pine. Managed a decent scrounge of cedar last year. Fast seasoning and was good early in the season. Still have some.

Yep, now that I know the real deal on pine, I will be stockpiling that also.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have a 3 year supply now and it was all free for asking wood lot owners for fallen and cleared stuff. some Poplar and a lot of soft Maple and Elm and a Oak from a paper mill wood lot that gives me there junk that's short cut or falls apart at a big knot.The hardware store in town gives me riding lawn tractor crates that are Oak. I use a circular saw to cut them up while holding them with one hand. Its not too bad to do. Btw- I have -33 F up here so I should get some wood going upstairs. The furnace wont run when it get in the mid 30 to 40 below cuz the propane wont create the needed pressure. Nice huh? I need to heat tape the bottom of the tank someday.

I have a 3 year supply now and it was all free for asking wood lot owners for fallen and cleared stuff. some Poplar and a lot of soft Maple and Elm and a Oak from a paper mill wood lot that gives me there junk that's short cut or falls apart at a big knot.The hardware store in town gives me riding lawn tractor crates that are Oak. I use a circular saw to cut them up while holding them with one hand. Its not too bad to do. Btw- I have -33 F up here so I should get some wood going upstairs. The furnace wont run when it get in the mid 30 to 40 below cuz the propane wont create the needed pressure. Nice huh? I need to heat tape the bottom of the tank someday.

Nice stash! Sounds like your set for a while.
I always wondered about the propane pressure. Sucks to have to learn that one the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.