Burning Larch Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks TMonter.. The issue was that some of the wood I was burning wasn't larch at all (see a couple of posts up). I just didn't like the way the other wood - White pine, I think - burned at all. The larch did fine.

Splits were large for my stove... but I'm afraid I can't post a pic as it was a sample selection of wood for me to try out and now it's all turned to ash! :)

No I havent...

I might do in the spring. I had told them it might be a while before I ordered some. I think I'd prefer to stick to burning hardwoods till then as I've scored some good, low MC mixed hardwood this week. In the meantime I will ask them if it would be possible to get a load of 100% larch without the pine mixed in, in spring... or at least to get a sense of what % of a load would be pine... Don't like that pine at all!

I belive they hope to sell some kiln dried hardwood later in the year. I would definitely go to them for that, they are good people, I think.

Aye.. And larch can look beautiful when it's growing too. Lots of it in Scotland as well..

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks TMonter.. The issue was that some of the wood I was burning wasn't larch at all (see a couple of posts up). I just didn't like the way the other wood - White pine, I think - burned at all. The larch did fine.

Splits were large for my stove... but I'm afraid I can't post a pic as it was a sample selection of wood for me to try out and now it's all turned to ash! :)

Ahh I missed the post my bad. White pine is pretty terrible firewood, much worse than lodgepole pine which is actually quite good in comparison. Good lesson in segregating your wood pile by species to know what you are burning assuming you cut it yourself.

Larch/tamarack is pretty easy to identify by the bark on it once you're used to seeing it.

Another benefit of larch is that is dries much quicker than hardwoods like oak.

The jet stream has been unusually strong across the Atlantic lately. Upper atmosphere winds are so strong that some flights from the US to England are at near supersonic speed. .

You are being facetious correct? Mach does not change because of a tailwind. You are no closer to the speed of sound flying in the Jetstream than out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.