Burning low an issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SK0136

Jan 18, 2023
NY
Hello all, been messing with my Hudson River Davenport a bit since purchase on Monday. The stove has been excellent, the only issue is when on manual, setting 3, the house heats up to 80 if left running all day. I woke up this morning at 5am to it being 79 and turned it off. I got up and have been running it on the high/ low setting with the auger trim rate on 3, and the blower rate on 2. The flame isn't huge, it's not creating soot, and it's maintained a perfect temperature of 70 since 10am. I MUCH prefer this temperature. Ash has been minimal, and everything appears to be burning perfectly efficient without going through too many pellets. Is there truly anything wrong with doing this? The installer told me to always run it on manual, level 3- but that is heating us right out. Attached is a picture of the flame on the current high/low setting. It goes between that and a little lower at times.

16744251143696912950749777061194.jpg

Reactions: VintageGal
Hello all, been messing with my Hudson River Davenport a bit since purchase on Monday. The stove has been excellent, the only issue is when on manual, setting 3, the house heats up to 80 if left running all day. I woke up this morning at 5am to it being 79 and turned it off. I got up and have been running it on the high/ low setting with the auger trim rate on 3, and the blower rate on 2. The flame isn't huge, it's not creating soot, and it's maintained a perfect temperature of 70 since 10am. I MUCH prefer this temperature. Ash has been minimal, and everything appears to be burning perfectly efficient without going through too many pellets. Is there truly anything wrong with doing this? The installer told me to always run it on manual, level 3- but that is heating us right out. Attached is a picture of the flame on the current high/low setting. It goes between that and a little lower at times.

View attachment 308248
I have been running my CB 1200 insert all winter on low. Sometimes I boost on high to get things rolling and then I set it to low for the next 24 hours. Shut it down and vacuum and I scrape the burn palette every couple days.

My stove tends to build up carbon in the fire pot quicker if I burn on low. I try to kick it up on high for about half hour once a day to help remedy this. Pellet quality seems to play a role in the carbon build up though so other stoves may not have the same problem.

Considering it’s not making soot, I’d say you’re good.