Burning mill ends

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firebuckeye

Nov 18, 2006
I did research this and found a thread about wether it ok to do or not. My question is different. I am curious to the quality of burn and heat output as well as price. The local saw mill sells end cuts for a pick up bed load stacked tightly for 30 dollars. All hard wood. Does anyone burn this stuff year round? It equates to 45 dollars a cord. I think this may be a good source of wood. I like it because its clean and all hard wood. I have access to all the down trees i want but i need to invest in a saw and splitter to do that. I think this may be a better option for me. Any thoughts?

Brad

You mean slab-wood. I know alot of people who burn it, but beware it will burn fairly fast. Is that 45 for a face cord right? We have burnt slab wood and it burns well, but isn't always seasoned. If It were me, I would buy cordwood thats split and in larger pieces. Its good wood if its a good deal, but I would look for something better.

firebuckeye said:
I did research this and found a thread about wether it ok to do or not. My question is different. I am curious to the quality of burn and heat output as well as price. The local saw mill sells end cuts for a pick up bed load stacked tightly for 30 dollars. All hard wood. Does anyone burn this stuff year round? It equates to 45 dollars a cord. I think this may be a good source of wood. I like it because its clean and all hard wood. I have access to all the down trees i want but i need to invest in a saw and splitter to do that. I think this may be a better option for me. Any thoughts?

Brad

On another thread I spoke about heating my shop with this wood for very little. It came from f mill that processed alder and soft maple. The mill ends were the off cuts to sized the logs for processing. There was a good bit of bark and some mud. We did rough splits, big chunks. Butt ends were really dense as they were from the bottom of the tree. The mill sawed when they logs had "aged" about ten months, so the wood was part dried. The problem was the pieces might be 12 inches long a 24 inches across. So we renamed the killer stove the ultimate chunker.

Somewhere I read about not using this wood as it was dangerous and could damage your stove, I never had a problem with it.

A lot of "mill ends" can be half rounds. That would be a steal for that stuff. At that price I would donate my chainsaw to charity.

The wood that could be dangerous is kild dried lumber, or lumber ends. Slab wood is different.

I buy a load or two of hardwood slab wood usually every other year. Around here a pick up load is $10. It's almost always green so I get it a year before the last load will run out. I cut it to short lengths and split as needed to use for kindling (can split with a hatchet, burns great). I use bigger pieces for reducing the coal bed or stoking the fire when I let the coals get too low. It's useful, but I wouldn't want to rely on it as my main source of wood, most of it burns too fast. On the other hand I do consider it a back up as I could mix it in if I did start running low on seasoned splits.

Honestly I dont know what it is exactly but I am picking some up tomorrow and will better clarify. Also to answer the one post it should be the amount of a 3/4 of a full cord. My truck bed is 4x8x2 plus the wheel well area and if stacked right little to no wasted space.

Brad

I burn lots of 4/4 lumber

it burns very well, faster than firewood, but my supply is unlimited so I cant complain

I figure 3 or 4 pickup load per cord if the wood green because of the weight 5-6,000 pounds.

firebuckeye said:

Brad

Goof stuff. The slab wood or round ends. I use to have access to it in my neck of the woods. I wood cut the slab in 35 inch length the fit my pierce steam boiler end to end!

I did not think about the weight. I have a 5x8 foot dump trailer that has 2 foot sides. Nearly identical to pick upbed. Hopefully they give methe same price with dump bed. But your right my truck would not be able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.