burning mulbury

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
does anyone that burns alot of mulbury notice that it pops and spits alot? is that just the way mulbury is? we had some that was cut about 6 years ago just some small rounds i put them in last night and there was sparks coming out of the air intake that looked like a 4th of july sparkler, kinda scary i stayed up all night watching that thing cause it would not go out and was burning way to hot. anyone else have this problem? i know its seasoned very well so i know thats not the problem. Thanks

I would guess that this is the nature of the beast. Osage Orange/Hedge is the closet relitive to mulberry and it pops and sparks like a forth of July fountain. I love it.
Brad

That's just the way it is. Hate burning it in the open fireplace for that reason. My favorite wood in the stove.

We had some mulberry this winter from our tree being trimmed a year or two back. Split nicely, burns okay, pops and spits like a cornered rat, even when well seasoned. Also, it had powder-post beetles (I think). I think we got it all burned before it got too warm to use the FP.

Peace,
- Sequoia

That's what I heard as well, although I haven't burned any. I've got 3 or 4 cords we picked up from a farmer that I'm in the process of splitting. Mostly 20" or slightly larger stuff. Splitting by hand is a dream, and I can't wait to burn it. Sparking and popping is the only downside (assuming it bothers you) I've heard of for Mulberry.

Yes it pops an awful lot due to moisture pockets; once the heat and air hit it they explode and go nuts! Good fuelwood though.

good stuff take all you can get

Status
Not open for further replies.