1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

burning mulbury

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jdscj8, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdscj8

jdscj8 Member

Loc:
    Eastern,Nebraska
    does anyone that burns alot of mulbury notice that it pops and spits alot? is that just the way mulbury is? we had some that was cut about 6 years ago just some small rounds i put them in last night and there was sparks coming out of the air intake that looked like a 4th of july sparkler, kinda scary i stayed up all night watching that thing cause it would not go out and was burning way to hot. anyone else have this problem? i know its seasoned very well so i know thats not the problem. Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Loc:
    Tecumseh Kansas
    I would guess that this is the nature of the beast. Osage Orange/Hedge is the closet relitive to mulberry and it pops and sparks like a forth of July fountain. I love it.
    Brad
  3. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

That's just the way it is. Hate burning it in the open fireplace for that reason. My favorite wood in the stove.
  4. TreePapa

TreePapa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Calif.
    We had some mulberry this winter from our tree being trimmed a year or two back. Split nicely, burns okay, pops and spits like a cornered rat, even when well seasoned. Also, it had powder-post beetles (I think). I think we got it all burned before it got too warm to use the FP.

Peace,
    - Sequoia
  5. Creek-Chub

Creek-Chub New Member

Loc:
    Niles, MI
    That's what I heard as well, although I haven't burned any. I've got 3 or 4 cords we picked up from a farmer that I'm in the process of splitting. Mostly 20" or slightly larger stuff. Splitting by hand is a dream, and I can't wait to burn it. Sparking and popping is the only downside (assuming it bothers you) I've heard of for Mulberry.
  6. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Yes it pops an awful lot due to moisture pockets; once the heat and air hit it they explode and go nuts! Good fuelwood though.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    good stuff take all you can get
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.