Burning my new paint job in....out in the driveway. Questions??? Revised!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeLikeUmFire

Sep 17, 2009
Lapeer, Michigan
Sorry I forgot to mention that the insert is in my garage and will be sprayed in my heated garage. All the bricks are out of it right now. I will be painting my insert this weekend. Saw somewhere on here that some people do a couple of burns in the insert outside to cure the paint.

1. Is this worth it...how bad are the fumes with inside curing?
2. Can I do a couple of burns without the firebricks in so I dont have to carry the stove in with all the bricks in it?
3. How do I keep the soot from blowing back on the insert?
4. How many burns should I do?

If you paint it in place & burn it in place, you'll have paint fumes to deal with & a little bit of smoke.
If you open a window for 10 minutes after you paint, it'll clear the paint fumes...
Your insert will smoke for 10 - 20 minutes after painting.
If you open a window for that time , it'll clear out the smoke.
The paint fumes should not be inhaled, so wear a mask while you're painting.
The smoke is NON-TOXIC, but unpleasant & doesn't last that long.
My $.02? Don't bother with removing the surround, unhooking it from the liner,
lightening it by removing whatever you can & dragging it outside.
Mask off the glass & shiny handles, protect the hearth & walls & paint it where it sits.

I painted my stove outside, but cured it inside. However, my stove was not in my house before I painted it. If and when I paint it again I'll do it in place. Like Daksy said make sure you protect everything you don't want to get paint on and ventilate while painting.

The curing really wasn't that bad, just open some windows for the first few burns. I'm not sure if you've considered this, but the stove needs to be above 60 degrees when applying the paint. I used stove bright and those were the instructions to insure the best results. I'm pretty sure you aren't getting any 60 degree days in Michigan anymore.

I used a Waggoner, low overspray, model?? Thinned the paint out of the can and sprayed away where it sat, except for the doors which I layed down, They are the only cast parts and require a lot more paint to achieve a balance finish from the plate steel. Only thing I would do differently, is too use much better lighting in order to see the paint flow on! I had very little odor with curing the paint, wasnt a big deal at all in my case!

I touch up mine in place.
Let the paint dry at least 24 hrs do a small fire first, then the fumes will only last the first few burns and be less every time. I open the windows for the first small fire and the first real fire startup.

Sorry guys I didn't mention that the insert is in my garage and brickless, and will be sprayed in my garage. I have it on a cart on wheels that I can roll outside and fire it up. Thx for any advice.

Check with Regency as to the correct brand of paint to use. Many companies use Stove Brite. If unsure, do a test area on the back of the stove and let it dry. Watch for aligatoring if incompatible.

Stove Brite paint is good, but nasty stuff. Be sure to use some serious organic vapor mask and ventilation while painting. And absolutely no flames present. It is highly flamable.

I like the idea of burning it with the bricks installed, outside for the first hot burn. No soot in the house is a good idea and it's easy.

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=stove-bright-User-guide

Since it's outside already, burn it outside. Get a section of stovepipe (relatively cheap) to increase draft and get the smoke particulates away from the new paint job. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.