Burning OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt03

Feeling the Heat
Oct 30, 2011
Peachland, BC, Canada
Newbie been burning for about 3 weeks straight now... wood is fairly dry (20-25% douglas fir)

For the overnight burn, try to get a full load going and slowly work the air down. Usually leave it about 1/4 open. Usually have to start a new fire in the morning.

I haven't had to clean the glass since I started burning. Get small black spots once in a while but they burn off in the morning fire. Also, hardly have any ashes to clean out of the stove (maybe cleaned it out once or twice, but didn't really need to).

If I try a longer burn during the day, it'll sometimes smoke a bit halfway through or towards the end but for the most part, there isn't too much coming out of the chimney.

So does it sound like I'm burning ok? I'm almost starting to think that I'm burning too hot on a regular basis (stovetop gets to a max of about 650-750), hence the clean glass and lack of ashes. I'm just sketched right out about getting creosote forming in the chimney....

Newbie been burning for about 3 weeks straight now... wood is fairly dry (20-25% douglas fir)

For the overnight burn, try to get a full load going and slowly work the air down. Usually leave it about 1/4 open. Usually have to start a new fire in the morning.

I haven't had to clean the glass since I started burning. Get small black spots once in a while but they burn off in the morning fire. Also, hardly have any ashes to clean out of the stove (maybe cleaned it out once or twice, but didn't really need to).

If I try a longer burn during the day, it'll sometimes smoke a bit halfway through or towards the end but for the most part, there isn't too much coming out of the chimney.

So does it sound like I'm burning ok? I'm almost starting to think that I'm burning too hot on a regular basis (stovetop gets to a max of about 650-750), hence the clean glass and lack of ashes. I'm just sketched right out about getting creosote forming in the chimney....

Sounds like you are doing fine. No worries with those temps on the stove top. Put a themometer on the vertical exit pipe about 2 feet up and tell us what it reads there.

You're doing fine. You might turn it down even to an 1/8th to see if you can get hot coals in the AM to restart a morning fire.

Welcome to the Burnaholics Anonymous!

Sounds like your dong just fine.

I also would recommend a stove pipe thermometer.

I am learning a new stove too, actually 2 new stoves. The freestanding BK with a cat, I am learning to turn the air down even more slowly than what the instructions say. With the Lopi non-cat insert, which is a lot more like your Regency, I am learning to turn the air down a little more aggressively- slowing down the early offgassing, which conserves my fuel and gives me longer burns with stove top temps just as hot or even hotter. I shut that puppy down to 1/4 or 1/8 or less, and if I didn't have a window, I'd swear there was a raging fire inside (based on the thermometer), but there's not. So... don't be afraid to try reducing air more and sooner.

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up cutting it down more than usual this morning before going outside to do some chores. After about 5 minutes, noticed quite a bit of smoke coming out of the chimney. Back inside, still a fair bit of wood in the stove, all charred, but just sitting as coals (no lazy flames).

I have a 6x10 clay lined chimney, maybe that's why I can't turn it down as much without smothering it (draft isn't as good as it would be with 6" insulated liner.....)?

Status
Not open for further replies.