Burning old Microwave Popcorn packs in my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two boxes of microwave popcorn with an expiration date from 2008, so it's rancid waste that can't be eaten, but can it be burned? It would be like firecrackers going off but I don't see any problem other than the fact that the bags have a plastic lining (toxic). If there's any reason why I shouldn't burn them, please let me know.

Rancid waste that can't be eaten? HUH?? Send it my way, I'll eat it.

set your stove on the popcorn setting should be just like what the microwave does to it.

Hey should this post be in the pellet / corn stove section?? LOL

As long as you don't have a catalytic stove, pop away. Yes, and do post a video!!

One thing to think of is that microwave popcorn bags have aluminum in them. If you have a catalyst, it could be a minor issue. The microwave heater is sually sandwiched between the paperbag layers and was a sparyed on powder made of aluminum.

If I were a betting man I would bet that the bags of popcorn would just burn . . . no snap, crackles or pops.

Ewwwwwww! I'd think that would STINK!

I like some kinds of microwave popcorn, but I detest the lingering aftersmell in my mike. I gotta clean it for sure before I use it again.

Nancy

I would try it with one, just for fun. But I wouldnt advise a customer to do it. I also wouldnt advise them to do it soon and post a link to the video here so we can watch it.

Not in my pellet stove, but in a wood stove in my inherited mobile home. The stove is a pretty old model so it wouldn't have a catalytic device, so I'll just toss in a pack after it's nice and hot, 2-3 packs at once isn't something I'd do until I've tried just one first. I'll record it on video. I'll have to view the video in BrotherBart's link first.

I burnt a bag of dog food in my pellet stove. Turned the fire box black but burned real good. Eventually the black burned off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.