Burning out stove in tha A.M.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victorytea

Sep 5, 2007
I have been burning wood for heat for about 30 years now- never had as much as a chimney fire. One thing I've always done is to crank up the stove in the morning, let it get very hot for about 20 minutes and then shut it right down to it's lowest setting. I have found this to be the best way to cut down creosote. This is a very neat site with some excellent advice. Just pondering- am I stressing the stove ( a Vermont castings ResoluteAcclaim) by doing this? I have had to replace a number of parts throughout the years> Thanks for your help. Paul

Sounds about tight to me. As long as the stove is not glowing. Getting her hot once a day or so keeps creosote from building up.
Of course each stove is a lil different. But your opening statements basically answered your own question;)

The question is mostly "How hot is 'very hot'?" As long as you never get anything so hot that it's "glowing" the daily hot fire is a good idea. Do you have a stove thermometer? If so, what does it read? I would say you should get the stove up to the maximum reccomended operating temps, but not go over them, or at least not by much.

Gooserider

This is what I do every morning, and my chimney stays super clean, even with my monster smoke box. As long as you don't load it and forget about it, it will be ok. I usually leave the basement door open and the lights all on to remind me that the stove is cranking. I'm enough of a cheapskate that I can guarantee that I'll go down and turn the lights off before I leave. By the time my first cup of joe is down, and I'm ready to wake up the rest of the family, the stove is (a) running hot and clean and (b) putting more heat into the house just when it's needed most.

Oh, and Hogwildz: it's the "Susquehanna Steam Electric Plant", or at least until it melts down, then you'll probably be camping in my yard. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.