Burning pellets in wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc_Dad

May 10, 2009
Maine
Has anyone tried this. The link is 1 I found on craigslist. http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2210642080.html

This is the text for CL add;

place one of my pellet pits in your fireplace or wood stove, put in wood pellets or wood chips and let it burn. if you ran out of wood and dont have the money to buy a cord of dry wood, get a pellet pit, buy a few bags of wood pellets and stay warm. i use a bag of pellets a day, same as a pellet stove. a 40 lb bag of pellets costs the same as one fire log. if you figure the cost of buying cord wood vs the cost of pellets, pellets are cheaper, also much dryer, put off more btu's. the pellet pit is installed and removed in 10 seconds. price starts at 85.00. custom sizes made. send a picture of your wood stove or fireplace with size of door, and inside dimensions. this is an all steel welded unit, designed to last for years. watch it burn on youtube search- pellet pit

I've seen baskets brought up here many times. Generally those who have tried them aren't very impressed.

The only reason I can see on why it wouldn't work is due to the forced combustion in the pellet stove. There isn't a way to get air to the inside of the mass in a basket full of pellets. The outside should burn fine though. Maybe a shallow enough pan would work fine. I think I'd swiss cheese an old pot or pan before I dropped $85 dollars on one of those though.

Matt

I have seen an ad for pellet baskets on the back of older bags of Juniata pellets made by Energex.

I've thrown some pellets in my fireplace on top of the wood to see if they would burn. (my pellet stove didn't like that brand)

They burned alright, but I agree with EatenByLimestone, I'd try something homemade first.

My thinking is that attempting to burn pellets in a woodstove would be like attempting to use propane in a stove set up to burn natural gas . . . it probably will not out as well as one might think and will most likely not work out very well at all.

There are many things you CAN burn in a woodstove. If your manufacturer says to use only cordwood, then you should first decide if that makes a difference to you. For some it does, others like to experiment (and risk voiding the warranty, if it's still in effect).

Status
Not open for further replies.