1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning Pellets in Woodstove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Metal, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

I saw this and thought it was interesting. For those who don't want to buy a pellet stove, but like the convenience it may be an option. What's your opinion? http://www.energex.com/energex_news.htm

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bruce

bruce Member

Loc:
    long pond pa
    maybee good but how do you refuel when hot?
  3. vgrund

vgrund Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    I looked at this thing out of curiousity (I don't own a wood stove). To me it seems to be a means to sell more pellets, and perhaps generate general interest in the fuel, cooked up by the marketing folks at a pellet manufacturer. If you want to burn pellets, I recommend a pellet stove.
  4. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Last I checked someone paid 450/ton for pellets on Ebay. I could heat my home with Plutonium for less money than pellets, and that's including all the oncologist bills I'd have.
    I agree that it looks difficult to re-load this basket, especially if it were inside a 600 degree stove. Plus, I wonder what your burn efficiency would be in a wood stove. Pellet stoves have forced air, and create a blast furnace effect. You aren't going to get that trype of directed air flow with a wood stove. Actually, this sounds the same as taking an old coal basket and using it to burn coal inside your wood stove... which shouldn't work too well either.

-- Mike
  5. vgrund

vgrund Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Amherst, NH
    $450/ton? You have to be kidding me. It must be panic buying.

I have been paying attention to pellet prices since I'm considering adding a pellet insert before next season. Pellets are $249/ton in my area.

I think the trick is to buy off season.

Victor
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I've seen these baskets on a Swedish site as well. They should work ok. I would imagine that one would just refill them with a non-combustible container like a coal hod or similar device.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.