Burning Pellets in Woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at this thing out of curiousity (I don't own a wood stove). To me it seems to be a means to sell more pellets, and perhaps generate general interest in the fuel, cooked up by the marketing folks at a pellet manufacturer. If you want to burn pellets, I recommend a pellet stove.

Last I checked someone paid 450/ton for pellets on Ebay. I could heat my home with Plutonium for less money than pellets, and that's including all the oncologist bills I'd have.
I agree that it looks difficult to re-load this basket, especially if it were inside a 600 degree stove. Plus, I wonder what your burn efficiency would be in a wood stove. Pellet stoves have forced air, and create a blast furnace effect. You aren't going to get that trype of directed air flow with a wood stove. Actually, this sounds the same as taking an old coal basket and using it to burn coal inside your wood stove... which shouldn't work too well either.

-- Mike

$450/ton? You have to be kidding me. It must be panic buying.

I have been paying attention to pellet prices since I'm considering adding a pellet insert before next season. Pellets are $249/ton in my area.

I think the trick is to buy off season.

Victor

I've seen these baskets on a Swedish site as well. They should work ok. I would imagine that one would just refill them with a non-combustible container like a coal hod or similar device.

Status
Not open for further replies.