1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Burning Pine - First Impressions

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jwoair23, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    jwoair23

I am burning some white pine slabwood I bought from an Amish gentlemen last year around this time. I stacked it outside and brought it in under the porch last month. It is nice and dry and I am burning it now by mixing it in with my White Ash and a little bit of other types of hardwood. I also have burned cordwood pine that I cut off of our property that is standing dead from bugs or a tree that needs to go because there are too many in that area. As long as it is dry it is a nice hot fire! Glad to hear you like the pine. The more sources of heat the better.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Great for startup and heating a cold stove,also great for shoulder seasons when you need a short hot fire. Im burning a load of 100% pine right now. Ill probably get a slightly shorter burn time but loads of heat and a nice fire show.
  3. XJma

XJma Member

Loc:
    MA
    My eyes have recently been open and although I don't have much ready right now, I will now be cutting up the downed pines that aren't in my way and prepping them for the future instead of letting it rot in place.

I mentioned to some family and friends that have been burning wood pretty much their whole lives about how pine was good if seasoned and they were having none of it. I didn't feel the need to press the issue. Sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks, or something.
  4. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Hey thats OK more PIne for the rest of us.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    jwoair, we also cut some pine today. Haven't burned pine for a long time now but won't hesitate to burn it.
  6. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    that reminds me.....i have to drop one that the top was taken out of when big gum tree blew over about 30 feet of trunk still standing.

cass
  7. Bacffin

Bacffin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    30 Miles Northwest of Boston
    Here is what I get when I say I'm burning pine to the seasoned veterans. You can burn pine....that is all they burn out in the midwest, but they burn it hot to keep the creasote down.
  8. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I don't go out of my way for pine but I'll burn it. I've burned about a 1/3 cord or so of Scotch pine so far, I have a bunch of them that are dying. The ones that have been standing long enough to get punky go to the neighbor with the outdoor boiler, the stuff that is still solid gets split and stacked for shoulder season wood. I would've never messed with it when I had my old stove but the BK can control the burn enough to go 24 hours during the warmer days(40-50).
  9. Insomnivore

Insomnivore New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Thanks. Sandy gave me a great deal of white pine falls that I'm currently working on before the snow comes. Tons of wood that would be a sin to waste. I clean my chimney 3+ times a season so I sleep quite well.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Equal opportunity burner . . . if it is seasoned . . . it gets burned.
  11. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I better stop burning poison ivy vines...;)
    Curly likes this.
  12. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Well, I certainly wouldn't burn any wood this winter that was alive and standing before Sandy came through. It would be way too green/wet. Pine especially would make a real mess of things.

But once good and dry, pine can be a great wood. You realize, of course, that in some parts of the country, pine is virtually the only tree that is available for firewood.
  13. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One other comment on the pine, now that I have burned it a few days. It leaves like zero coals, which I actually like right now. Its not that cold at the moment, and its nice to not have to worry about coals, it burns down really really well.
  14. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    I got a whole pine tree from a neighbor when it came down during sandy.. It was already cut, all i had to do was split it. Needless to say, it is stacked and on deck for next year. It is about a good half cord not counting the small branches.
  15. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    Suprz, by next year that will be great on it own but especially good mixed with hard woods to kick start a roaring fire.
  16. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    It will make you go bald.....and sterile.
    Bacffin and Delta-T like this.
  17. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    "pine blindness" ain't no joke. I used to be able to read too, but now, thnks to pine, I can only interpret pictures.o_O
    firefighterjake and Jags like this.
  18. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I know I keep replying to my own post, so forgive me. :) I have been burning pretty much only pine for the past week or so, and the more I burn it, the more I love it!
    • Lights VERY easily, I only need a few coals for it to take off in a blaze
    • Burns quite hot
    • Leaves zero coals, which is a relief after burning Maple which was leaving ridiculous amounts of coals
    • Also is leaving very little ash
    • Smells good while burning :)
    • Actually doesn't burn as fast as I thought it would, its no black locust, but its not bad at all
    I actually think I may make sure I have some pine for next year too. The biggest thing that I like is the zero coals, because my fiancee has to load the stove half the day, and she doesn't ever rake coals forward, so they buildup very quickly.
  19. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Compare your opening post profile pic to this last one. I can see your hairline receding. Just looking out for ya, buddy.

(and quit telling everybody that pine is good. Jeesh, next they will start to want the stuff and that would be bad for the rest of us).
    swagler85 likes this.
  20. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    haha I'm still in denial about the hairline, so that is not happening at all, I'm certain of it.

Maybe a mod should delete this whole post to keep the fact that pine is great a secret! haha ;)
    Jags likes this.
  21. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    I pick it up at my leisure, I know if I don't call on a scrounge immediately it will still be there tomorrow. I like using a couple of splits to get the stove up to temp then loading up with good hardwood.
  22. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    I always cruise the free ads on craigslist and in my area right now there are two trees one pine and the other is listed as "evergreen"?? But they arent close to me so i have been passing up on them, but they have been listed for at least 2weeks, and just keep getting reposted. I might have to make a plan to rent a uhaul some weekend and make a few runs on sat and sunday... It is only 18.00 for the rental and whatever gas i use. But i should actually get to cutting up that huge black locust in my backyard....
  23. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    There is a guy trying to get rid of about 3 full cords, of fully seasoned, some almost punky pine. I have already picked up a cord and will be going next week to get another load. Mix this stuff with the dogwood and cherry of I have and it will be all I burn this year. I'm scrounging other wood, but putting it up for the next few years. my stacks are probably up to 5 full cords, but then I have only been at this for a few months.

Bring on the pine. Keeps me warm