Burning pine questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pine can be deceiving, you can cut it down green and split it, a couple months in the sun you can pick a piece up and it will feel very lite and dry, guess what, its probably not ready yet

I have the opposite issue with hardwood ;lol

"Sheesh this is freakin' heavy, must not be anywhere near seasoned"

I got a couple cords of mostly hardwoods for $50/cord a month ago. I'm looking forward to finally burning some good seasoned stuff in a year or two.

It is fine to burn. And needs to be split and stacked to dry for at least a year. The mistake that has always been made is burning pine before it was ready and still contains too much moisture but will burn because of the resin it contains.

I've got a cord of pine in my backyard that's almost a year old. It stubbornly refuses to split by hand. I've been banging on it with my Fiskar. I'll try a sledge and maul next. Just haven't gotten the technique that delivers nice splits (or really, any splits!)

This thread has been a really good read for me! We brought down a pine, doug fir and one cedar (well juniper, they just call it cedar around here) last January. Thanks to info from this site, we kept the pine and the cedar. The pine was a sticky mess to deal with but since it was CSS and drying since then, I burned some yesterday morning for the first time ever. Yowzers that stuff burns hot and sweet :) Took off like a rocket - good thing I made a small fire with only 2 small splits like BG told me to do last Spring. The moisture meter read 12-14 on the splits I used.

lml - the pine was a pain to split when it was fresh and the knots-oyyy! I had read somewhere on here the earlier you split pine, the better so we trudged on. We just had to keep looking for that one spot on the end of each split where it would actually further split. Good luck

I've got a cord of pine in my backyard that's almost a year old. It stubbornly refuses to split by hand. I've been banging on it with my Fiskar. I'll try a sledge and maul next. Just haven't gotten the technique that delivers nice splits (or really, any splits!)

Weird. I actually just finished hand-splitting down the pine I picked up yesterday from 8-10" halves and quarters to smaller pieces that will dry more quickly and fit into my stove - and they busted up so easily I was shocked. Used a maul. Perhaps it gets more difficult as the wood dries...

Yes. Most people are wrong about most things.

Yep. And it is impossible to change their opinion using something as benign as facts. My father in law (and other people too) think I'm a moron for burning pine because all it does is cause creosote. He is 65 now and has never had a fireplace or a wood stove in his life. The last time he burnt a piece of wood was probably in the woods when he was a teenager.

All the folks out west must laugh at most of us easteners. Me....I've got 3 cords of pine for next year for free because no one around here wants it.

I have about 2 cords of pine and about 20 cords of oak. The way I see it is, why wouldn't I burn seasoned pine(css for 1 year), and use up good oak? I burn about 6 cords a year, and by keeping my oak covered on top, off the ground on pallets, and dry, I will have wood for another extra couple of seasons by adding some pine each year during shoulder seasons.

I have about 2 cords of pine and about 20 cords of oak. The way I see it is, why wouldn't I burn seasoned pine(css for 1 year), and use up good oak? I burn about 6 cords a year, and by keeping my oak covered on top, off the ground on pallets, and dry, I will have wood for another extra couple of seasons by adding some pine each year during shoulder seasons.

Sounds like a great plan!

6 cords a season though is a fair amount of wood. Big house?

There are so many different species of pine, each with its own specific characteristics, that you all are not even talking about the same wood unless you're standing next to one another looking at it. Rick

Yes, about 2400 square feet that I've been heating with wood for 27 years. I had a Jotul 8 cat stove and have an osburn 2400 insert, but I am putting on an addition and sold the Jotul. So, I will be getting another osburn 2400, but a woodstove. Great stoves, lots of heat, and great view! My house will now be about 3000 square feet.

By the way, I'll probably burn more wood, but I have about 22 cords split, and stacked.

By the way, I'll probably burn more wood, but I have about 22 cords split, and stacked.

Dang that's a lot of wood!
Wish I was that far ahead!

I burn 3-4 cords a season heating a 2500 sq/ft. two story house.

Well, I am constantly keeping my eyes open for more. I talk to tree guys, neighbors, and friends. I'm sure they think I'm crazy, (I know my family and friends do), but they don't understand that wood needs time to season properly.

I love pine. All mine was free. Burning it right now.:)
Make sure it is properly seasoned and burn at correct stove temps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 128
Reactions: Cynnergy
We brought down a pine, doug fir and one cedar (well juniper, they just call it cedar around here)

Juniper == cedar? ;hm I guess the bark is kinda-maybe-not-really similar ;lol

I love burning juniper. I'd be content if that was all I had to burn :)

There are so many different species of pine, each with its own specific characteristics, that you all are not even talking about the same wood unless you're standing next to one another looking at it. Rick

So true. I couldn't agree with you more fossil. I burn Lodgepole around here. Below is the pine mbtus from chimney sweeps btu chart.

Pine, Norway (Red)Pinus resinosa2,89017.9
Pine, PitchPinus rigida2,63516.3
Pine, LodgepolePinus contora latifolia2,46515.3
Pine, PonderosaPinus ponderosa2,38014.8
Pine, Jack (Canadian)Pinus banksiana2,38014.8
Pine, White (Idaho)Pinus monticola2,23614.3
Pine, White (Eastern)Pinus strobus2,12513.2

Last edited:
Anything that's a conifer is classed as 'Pine' by some people so your list is pretty short.

So true. I couldn't agree with you more fossil. I burn Lodgepole around here. Below is the pine mbtus from chimney sweeps btu chart.

Pine, Norway (Red)Pinus resinosa2,89017.9
Pine, PitchPinus rigida2,63516.3
Pine, LodgepolePinus contora latifolia2,46515.3
Pine, PonderosaPinus ponderosa2,38014.8
Pine, Jack (Canadian)Pinus banksiana2,38014.8
Pine, White (Idaho)Pinus monticola2,23614.3
Pine, White (Eastern)Pinus strobus2,12513.2
Take the last 3 numbers and you get the mbtus. Not sure why when I cut and pasted this it came out this way.

Anything that's a conifer is classed as 'Pine' by some people so your list is pretty short.
Hey Rossco,

I don't think so on your second point, especially addressing hearth members. I couldnt agree with you more on your first point outside of this site, and in the public I wouldn't even bring it up just like I wouldn't discuss moisture content with them (heck not even with my friends) but I cant include a larch or other conifers in my post. I would like to think that the folks here would be able to tell the difference between a spruce, pine or a larch or would be inquisitive enough to look it up. Those who dont aren't likely to be on this site. I couldn't tell you what an oak looks like but that's because I don't live where oak grows so those who live in soft wood land like you and I can tell the difference between our trees or learn fairly quickly if we so choose. Those who don't are the same ones who will likely burn this years green wood and think its ok just because a match will make it burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.