Burning red oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
First time burning season red oak 100 % it was 6 degrees last night....We had to open a window it got so hot. On track for a great season!

Good Stuff!! I threw some red oak on last night. First full year burning. What a difference. I have been burning Norway Maple and it's not cutting through the cold days and nights. I threw on the 5 year old oak and WOW! I just don't have enough... Gotta get cutting.

FireAnt said:
Good Stuff!! I threw some red oak on last night. First full year burning. What a difference. I have been burning Norway Maple and it's not cutting through the cold days and nights. I threw on the 5 year old oak and WOW! I just don't have enough... Gotta get cutting.

The pic in my avatar is a 44 inch red oak it was 16 foot long. Thats what I will be burning for the next month. All my softwood is gone so ash, beech,mulberry white and red oak hickory will finnish out the year. My best line up Yet....

Jay, if you decide you don't like that stuff, send it up north here.

Also, beware of the cold air. They say it will be even colder starting about Sunday night. First comes a bit more of the albino rain.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, if you decide you don't like that stuff, send it up north here.

Also, beware of the cold air. They say it will be even colder starting about Sunday night. First comes a bit more of the albino rain.

There talking up a pretty good snow storm here Sunday. I have a cord red oak stack-up next to the furnace and will top that off saturday. Got the chains on yesterday and plowed a little and salted the drive. Think I am ready this year....LOL Mother Nature sure can kick your @ss at any point.

Oh and if you need season wood "You Know We Will Have A Possey There In A Hurry"!

Fear not Jay. We have plenty!

It looks like there may be two snows coming. Only 1-3" predicted for us tomorrow night. Too early for the other one to predict. But if the snow goes like the rain has all this year we won't get much at all. We are still extremely dry here.

smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

The pic in my avatar is a 44 inch red oak it was 16 foot long. Thats what I will be burning for the next month. All my softwood is gone so ash, beech,mulberry white and red oak hickory will finnish out the year. My best line up Yet....

Nice! 44 INCHES!!! That's a good size Red. I need to get going on a 32" 40 footer of red oak.

FireAnt said:
smokinjay said:
FireAnt said:

Nice! 44 INCHES!!! That's a good size Red. I need to get going on a 32" 40 footer of red oak.

Someone else drop it and could not get through the trunk. Less than a 1/2 mile from my house. 12 man hours and 3 chains it was mine. lol That tree kick my @ss!

Hard works paying off now huh? Nice!

FireAnt said:
Hard works paying off now huh? Nice!

You better believe that. That tree was buck in Aug 2009...And it felt like that day in the house last night...lol

Keeps the gf wearing very little.....

Attachments

• james.jpg
    james.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 539
I'm getting into the red oak soon. I get a good long burn on a full firebox. Once it kicks off I shut the air down to almost nothing and run 450°F 18"above the stove. 10 hours from splits to coals plus an hour of heat on the coals. Love the stuff!

I get longer burns from the Oak but the stove does not get any hotter, the lesser woods burn hot and quick.

oldspark said:
I get longer burns from the Oak but the stove does not get any hotter, the lesser woods burn hot and quick.

With the Fisher that boiler plate steel comes to life!!

Ah... what's all this talk about oak? I just burn a little hedge when I want a longer and hotter burn...

Just messin'... I have about 6 cords of oak that should be ready 12/13.

CountryBoy19 said:
Ah... what's all this talk about oak? I just burn a little hedge when I want a longer and hotter burn...

Just messin'... I have about 6 cords of oak that should be ready 12/13.

I had 4 cords of hedge in 2008 great burn times but was not getting what I should have out of it. Made a few improvements on my furnace system this fall. Getting more out of my wood this Year. Everything's running Strong this season.

oldspark said:

Since I never burned red oak and can get 6-7 hour burn time out of 7-8 splits of cherry what would I get out of red oak?

zap

zapny said:
oldspark said:

Since I never burned red oak and can get 6-7 hour burn time out of 7-8 splits of cherry what would I get out of red oak?

zap
IMHO you will get longer burns and more heat from the coals, the more heat thing I do not understand as there are limits to how hot you can saftely run your stove, you will load the stove less and longer burns but it will not be any hotter just stay hotter for a longer time with the same load. If you want to feed the stove with cottonwood and you do it often enough you will be naked also.

Aspen would make the house cold . . . from opening the door every 3 minutes to go reload

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Aspen would make the house cold . . . from opening the door every 3 minutes to go reload

Dont forget to empty your ash's!

I'm burning my Red Oak now too. Mixing some 1 year seasoned with 2 year seasoned & doing pretty well. Only problem is this is supposed to be mid-winter wood & it ain't even winter yet (technically). May need to go scrounging for standing dead to make it through, or dip into the 11-12 supply. Not to complain though. I like this weather.

Keeps the gf wearing very little.....[/quote]

You know the drill, pics our it didn't happen. :)

swampy

zapny said:
Keeps the gf wearing very little.....

You know the drill, pics our it didn't happen. :)

swampy[/quote]

lol cant go there....

lol cant go there….
CAN'T.....or won't ?! ;-)

wood-fan-atic said:
lol cant go there….
CAN'T.....or won't ?! ;-)

Won't!

Status
Not open for further replies.