Burning red oak...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oak? Never heard of it.

CountryBoy19 said:
Ah... what's all this talk about oak? I just burn a little hedge when I want a longer and hotter burn...

Just messin'... I have about 6 cords of oak that should be ready 12/13.

"Oak is to Hedge as Pine is to Oak"

Backwoods Savage said:
Fear not Jay. We have plenty!

It looks like there may be two snows coming. Only 1-3" predicted for us tomorrow night. Too early for the other one to predict. But if the snow goes like the rain has all this year we won't get much at all. We are still extremely dry here.

That last big rain caught us up sump pump got burn-up so I hope its snow...lol

I have about 4 cords of red oak that have about 20 months on them. I'm hoping I can push using them off till next season. I've been extremely happy with the white ash I'm burning right now.

rdust said:
I have about 4 cords of red oak that have about 20 months on them. I'm hoping I can push using them off till next season. I've been extremely happy with the white ash I'm burning right now.

Oh come Jan. Try a couple mix loads of oak and ash Big Difference, but it needs to be very Cold!

smokinjay said:
rdust said:

Oh come Jan. Try a couple mix loads of oak and ash Big Difference, but it needs to be very Cold!
I'm burning White Ash and Oak now and the White Ash is pretty close to the Oak, now Green Ash is a whole diffenent story, good wood but not as dense.

I am burning red oak and hickory right now. I would rather have all hickory at this point.

Yep, getting cold around these parts. I had no temp last night (honestly - the thermo read zero). Pulled out the big guns. The stove was feed a diet of white oak, hickory and osage. You can hear the stove licking its lips when I bring in a load like that.

Jags said:
Yep, getting cold around these parts. I had no temp last night (honestly - the thermo read zero). Pulled out the big guns. The stove was feed a diet of white oak, hickory and osage. You can hear the stove licking its lips when I bring in a load like that.
It would be fun to try some osage, I guess there is some in Iowa but not where I am at.

Jags said:

I have ran across one chunk of the hedge so far I know theres more but must not be time for it yet! lol
I hear next week its going to cool off....

oldspark said:
It would be fun to try some osage, I guess there is some in Iowa but not where I am at.

I have one land owner that is just begging me to clean out about 1.5 miles of fence row hedge. Its a 20 min drive and easy picking, but I am simply up to my neck in unprocessed wood. So many trees, so little time.

Jags said:
You can hear the stove licking its lips when I bring in a load like that.

Niiiice!!! :lol:

Jags said:
oldspark said:

I have one land owner that is just begging me to clean out about 1.5 miles of fence row hedge. Its a 20 min drive and easy picking, but I am simply up to my neck in unprocessed wood. So many trees, so little time.

+1 and that hedge is really hard to get a cord. Hell on chains aswell!

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
oldspark said:

+1 and that hedge is really hard to get a cord. Hell on chains aswell!

This row hasn't been cleared in a long time. Many are 14-16", but are brushy. So yeah, thats one reason I haven't done it. I would have the ability to make brush piles in the open field, but it is a lot of hauling brush per tree with a low yield in firewood.

I look forward to burning 98% red and white oak next year. This year it is 30% Cherry, 25% crappy soft maple, 1/4 cord white oak, and the rest is ash. Next year should be nice.

Flatbedford said:
I look forward to burning 98% red and white oak next year. This year it is 30% Cherry, 25% crappy soft maple, 1/4 cord white oak, and the rest is ash. Next year should be nice.

thats not a bad mix. Done 2 year with 80 percent soft maple.

smokinjay said:

I did a couple weekends back just to see how the oak burned. It burned nice but I didn't need the heat at that point. I should have loaded up with the oak and ash last night, it was a chilly one here. Woke up to 69* with the blower still running though so we did ok with the ash.

I have a little over a 1/3 cord of hickory set aside for the cold nights once they hit.

Hey, soft maple is pretty darned good wood. It just burns up a bit faster.

rdust, do you remember if there was any soft maple in that load you got? If so, how did it burn?

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey, soft maple is pretty darned good wood. It just burns up a bit faster.

rdust, do you remember if there was any soft maple in that load you got? If so, how did it burn?

Ash, elm and red maple was in that load. I still have a 1/3 cord+ of it left, my "Dennis" wood will be used when it gets colder. :) The maple in that wood burns a lot better then the silver maple I'm burning some of right now. I wish I had more of it to mix in with the ash I'm burning, I find they work really well together.

That's good to know rdust. I think about 1/3 cord is about all I have left of it too. Too soon it will be gone but the stuff I split in 2009 is burning fine too. I really need to get started cutting this year. I did once day just for a little and since then other things have got in the way of cutting wood. Oh well, I'll cut when the white stuff falls if I have to.

Jags said:

Feel free to PM his address.

Status
Not open for further replies.