Burning sawdust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
After cuttting some wood in the garage I swept the sawdust from the floor at put it in paper bags thinking it would be very good kindling. That wasn't really the case - the only thing burning well was the bag itself. I wonder why, maybe because it isn't dense at all?

No air can get in between the fibers . It burns when its fluffed up, I'll bet .maybe high moisture?

Smolder yes, burn nope.

I hang on to the strings when I am noodling a log down to size that I can't split.

They work GREAT as kindling and dry out almost instantly it seems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roundgunner
My furnace room floor ends up with a lot of sawdust and small bark pieces. I scoop it into a 5 gallon bucket and soak down with fryer oil remains from making biodiesel and maybe some fuel filter drainings. Makes great firestarter.
If its been dried in a paper bag awhile it should burn fine.

I keep a garbage can full that I sprinkle on coals before putting some pine in after an all night burn. If you don't dump a lot on the coals it works great.

Reactions: JustWood
Throw a handful on a blazing outdoor fire pit, it will light up like firecrackers.....

Fine saw dust used in burners is actually sprayed into the burn chamber not unlike fuel oil . When mixed with the proper air ration can become very explosive. Evey so often you hear or read about a grain elevator exploding- it is the dust mixed with air set of by a spark of some kind in most cases.

Reactions: JustWood
Thanks - I'll sprinkle some on coals, and keep some on hand for oil dry. Seems like no matter how careful I am when changing the oil I get some on the driveway. I should save some for my son's outdoor fire pit to 'light it up'! I'll still save small pieces of wood too small for kindling and collect them in a bag. Doesn't seem right to just throw them out if it'll burn. I didn't realize applied a certain way sawdust could become almost combustible.

Fine saw dust used in burners is actually sprayed into the burn chamber not unlike fuel oil . When mixed with the proper air ration can become very explosive. Evey so often you hear or read about a grain elevator exploding- it is the dust mixed with air set of by a spark of some kind in most cases.
Thanks - I'll sprinkle some on coals, and keep some on hand for oil dry. Seems like no matter how careful I am when changing the oil I get some on the driveway. I should save some for my son's outdoor fire pit to 'light it up'! I'll still save small pieces of wood too small for kindling and collect them in a bag. Doesn't seem right to just throw them out if it'll burn. I didn't realize applied a certain way sawdust could become almost combustible.[/quote]

They have that safety issue at large capacity storage for PELLETS too. (as in pellet fuel for stoves).

Recently they had a problem of dust ignition at one of the pellet plants- I do not remember where -other than eastern section of country. Locally several years back a set of grain elevators being cleaned went ballistic took quite a bit of territory with them, not long after that a pallet company lost about 1/2of the building to a similar problem - sparks from commutator in a table saw were the cause- ( pallet companies around here are notoriously cheap) they had replaced motor with an open frame design instead of a tefc unit- caused there own problem. There was litigation on that one, as faculty was leased.

Status
Not open for further replies.