Burning season estimate and stove praise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
I usually just hang out in the wood shed, but this seemed more about the stove than the wood so - here is my multifaceted post

So what do you think - we should be about half through the burning season right? Say mid Oct - mid April (for me anyways), so mid January should be half way.

Well, If so, I'm crappin my pants, because as of this saturday, Jan 15th, I had burned exactly ONE cord of wood. I know for sure because each row in my woodshed is exactly 1/2 cord and I've used exactly 2 stacks so far.

We have a small house 1000 - 1200 sq. ft. that is fairly well insulated, but not awesome, and this will be the first full year with our Woodstock Keystone stove. We have NO other heat source other than our wood stove. We've been burning 24/7 since late november, but have been burning at least one fire/day since mid october. I can't believe how little wood this stove uses. It keeps our house nice and toasty. We load the stove exactly 3 times per day and get 8 hours easily per load.

I won't believe it if we only end up using 2 cords of wood this year - that would be incredible. Also, it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the outside temp (i.e. if it was colder we would use more wood), because we always do 3 loads per day regardless of the temp. on warmer days, if the high is around 40, then its 80 in the house, on cold days when the high is more like 20, it will still be in the 70s in the house. Burns slow and steady and the house is never too hot and never too cold. on the coldest mornings when its 10 or below, it will maybe be 68-70 degrees at reload time.

Sounds like you nailed the perfect combo for your home and local climate. About $400 worth of wood to heat your house for the year, that's something to be proud of. Congrats.

If thats all I used, I would quit cutting and splitting.

We have a similar size house (1100 sq ft) but not well insulated. The wood stoves are our only source of heat when we are around. Have to use electric heat when we are gone for a few days. So far we've used 1 1/3 cords. I am hoping another 1 1/3 will last us till early May.

Excellent! I've only burned through 1.5 cords with my two Woodstock's, probably could of been less if not for experimenting too much with the new Keystone.

Accuweather is predicting -28 tonight, no worries here, I'll wake up to mid 70's.

Todd said:
Excellent! I've only burned through 1.5 cords with my two Woodstock's, probably could of been less if not for experimenting too much with the new Keystone.

Accuweather is predicting -28 tonight, no worries here, I'll wake up to mid 70's.

1.5 cords total? Or in each stove?

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

1.5 cords total? Or in each stove?

Total. The Fireview is primary 24/7 burner and the Keystone only helps out on really cold days with a single burn in the evening most times.

December was like a normal January here so I think I may be inching up on two cords. But a half cord of that was aged pine I burned early on. Normally I burn three cords of oak a season. Gonna go over that counting the pine in October and early November.

sounds like I'm doing pretty similar to Gunks and Todd, and you guys are further north, so you probably started burning 24/7 earlier in the year than me. Man, I love this stove. I just don't understand the argument that cat stoves are more work or hassle or something - they are way less trouble than any other stove I've used. load, wait 15 minutes (usually) engage cat. do absolutely nothing or even have to look at stove for 8 hours and then repeat. Except that its fun to watch the little flippy blue flames dancing around for the first few hours.

and for Hanko, nah, I couldn't stop cutting wood if I tried. I've been doing it for so long, it would just feel wrong if I wasn't. I usually cut 4 cord per year for me (and 4 cord for my dad, and another 2-4 cord for friends, haha). The only probably would be if I keep cutting 4 for me, it will be nice to keep getting more years ahead on wood, but I'll run out of room on my property to stack!

kettensäge said:
Nice, If it were me I would cut and split the same amount every year and sell what I didn't need.

yeah, I actually mentioned that to my wife the other day. might be able to make a couple hundred dollars :)

I've gone through an estimated 1.65 cords so far. However we are about to get the coldest weather of the season in the next week (low of -8) so that might increase our burn rate. Then again, since I'm heating 2500sqft or so with the stove I expect I'll simply have to turn on the oil based heating system for a day or two to supplement the wood stove. Once I get down to single digits I'm pretty much at the Fireview's maximum output. Of course I still refuse to wake up to feed the stove.

Flint, thanks for the update on the stove. It's great to hear that the Keystone is serving you well. It's great when it all comes together so nicely.

I am just west oh Philadelphia.

I ordered 2 cords of wood and probably had another 1/4 cord on hand. I would guess I have burnt 1.3 cords of wood so far. Its more than I anticipated, I hope to make it through the winter. Fourtunatly I have a heat pump so when its over 45F outside, I let the heatpump run.

I will be ordering 3 cords next year...

Hi:

We started off mid October with a pretty mild burning season, with periods of very cold starting late November. We hit 1 cord -- exactly -- on the 18th, as it happens. But during a real cold winter, we burn more than this year.

Regards,

About 4/5ths of a cord here in about 7 weeks, burning almost full time, just had another cord delivered and stacked yesterday, and I think that will get us in to mid March as it leaves us a cord and a half remaining. The house is a 1300 square foot quad level, with an open plan, and only the attic is super insulated. New windows and vinyl siding make it pretty much draft free. I am very impressed with my Heritage stove, beautiful, efficient, and apparently sized just right for this house in this climate.

Franks said:
Thats great. Excellent results. I wish my wife would let me get a wood stove again. I wanna be the boss.

Wait, WHAT?
You sell stoves but don't have one?
Franks, man, just do it.
Tell your wife to give your pants back. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.